Istanbul Restaurants - any dress restrictions?

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

east med wanderer
How many stars? **: 0

Istanbul Restaurants - any dress restrictions?

Post by east med wanderer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:53 pm

We're going to be back in Istanbul in a few weeks time and have a shortlist of restaurants that we would like to eat at (mostly from recommendations on TTP) - Pandeli, Hamdi, Haci Baba, Haci Abdullah and Develi.

I always dress fairly casually - Tshirt, sweatshirt or fleece, baseball cap and lightweight travelling trousers and haven't worn a shirt or tie for 20 years or more. Does anyone know if any of the above places have a dress code? I'm willing to pack a shirt and tie if it means I won't be left standing, drooling, looking through a restaurant window.

steve

Post by steve » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:03 pm

It's a matter of choice and opinion and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions answering this thread!

I personally would not feel comfortable in most city restaurants in a t-shirt if I was having a main evening meal. A pair of lightweight trousers and a smart casual s/s shirt will be just fine for most places. Shirt and tie not necessary at all - you're there for pleasure, not business.

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:19 pm

steve wrote:It's a matter of choice and opinion and I'm sure you'll get plenty of opinions answering this thread!
Thanks, in the absence of these, as you suggest I'll pack a s/s shirt. I've also got a dressy sweatshirt, more like a pullover, just in case Istanbul gets a bit nippy by early November. I will post reviews of all the restaurants we visit on the forum in mid-November.

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:52 pm

Just an update on this in case anyone is interested.

We did eat in a few places like Hamdi and Haci Abdullah and many people were even more casually dressed than I was! I get the impression that Turks are more interested in what is on their plate, than what clothes everyone else is wearing.

Still have to do write-ups on these places but I've added a pic of our lunch in April of 2006 at Kanaat Restaurant on this thread

In the meantime you might like to look at some photos of Turkey from various visits in recent years at flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/east_med_wanderer/