restaurant reviews in istanbul

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

gwynaeth

restaurant reviews in istanbul

Post by gwynaeth » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:33 am

-Hamdi – WONDERFUL. Ate Kebab with Pistachio and fried eggplant and Baklava to die for. This and Turkish coffee all for 19 YTL.

-Sark Kahvashi – nice café to relax in while in Bazaar – authentic.

-Havaluzu in Bazaar-Very good food and wonderful desert (figs with clotted cream as suggested by Lonely Planet was incredible). Waiter was very kind and warned me about being cheated at Bazaar!

-360 – Horrible bartenders (rude and tried to keep an enormous tip by not giving us change). Food was so-so. Very Euro crowd. Not worth the hype at all. Can get much better food elsewhere for less!

-Gar (in Kadakoy) – wonderful little authentic restaurant with great fresh fish.

-Krependeki Imroz Restaurant – a bit of a letdown given the review in Lonely Planet – waiter seemed eager to get me to eat as much as possible solely for the purpose of getting me to pay a huge bill and was not genuinely friendly… food was not as good as expected (heavy). A bit expensive compared to other places.

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Post by steve » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:49 pm

Visited April 2007, happy to expand details if necessary:

Haci Abdullah - disapointing. Expected big things and the food was a bit bland and service a bit disinterested.

Hamdi - excellent. Only stayed for lunch and wished I'd put it down as a evening scoff. I certainly will next time.

Degoustation – Pretty good. In the fish market and a good fall back if you can’t get a seat or are overawed by busy Nevizade Sokak.

Leb-i Deyra – confusing! There are two of these. One is the Time Out-rated place at the top of a block of flats down a side street. We found it small, smoky and not all that so didn’t stay. The second is a restaurant of the same name on top of the Richmond Hotel in Istiklal Cadessi – 5 mins away from the former. It was expensive bit pretty good although not up to the standards of similar trendy places in Suadiye.

Rumeli – great. One of the only decent restaurants in Sultanahmet. I was quite impressed with this place but so was everyone else so it’s wise to book!

Top tip – beware of the trendy expensive places. They are for trendy and rich twenty-somethings who like to show how rich they are by eating there. Nothing wrong with that at all, but the latest way of demonstrating your wealth is to light up a cigar at the end of the meal. The bigger the cigar, and the earlier in the meal the better. This happened in a number of places and if you’re not used to even cigarette smoke with your meal, this might be a bit tough to cope with.

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Hi Gwynaeth and Steve,

Hamdi - We have put Hamdi on our list from the restaurants that we are always going to visit when we are in Istanbul, we were there about 2 weeks ago, everything is just good there. The view, the service, the ambience and the food is fantastic! I also go for the köfte with pistachios and the pistachio baklava with cream inside (looks like an envelope). The wine makes the bill quite high but it is so worth it!

Litera -
I was in Lyb-i Derya but will not go again. I had to go and get my cappucino from the counter to not have it cold. Nobody around to serve it! The food was not bad but I prefer Litera you find on the top floor of the Goethe Istitute. It is about the same location, Istiklal street, but turn where is the postoffice (Yeniçar?? Cad. 32 Beyo?lu). View is the same perfect, food is very good, a choice from international food and turkish food, all flagged so you know where its origine is from. Bill comes OK.

Konayli - super super restaurant in Kanyon mall. Food excellent, service excellent, bill comes according to that but worth it.

Vöper - for those who want a change, I go there for the sushi.
Sushi is freshly prepared by a Japanese chef. You find this on the top floor of Akmerkez, the busy food floor but they are hidden in the corner and have a private section, and with wireless connection (for those interested).

I have to visit Rumeli next time, I have heard only good things. Unfortunately that will not be before November.
Cheers all!

HeidiandGary

Re: restaurant reviews in istanbul

Post by HeidiandGary » Wed May 26, 2010 4:46 pm

Hamdi Best Vegas Hotel PoolGolf Resort Las Vegas WONDERFUL. Ate Kebab with Pistachio and fried eggplant and Baklava to die for. This and Turkish coffee all for 19 YTL. Restaurants San Diego

We are looking for an authentic restaurant with fabulous food for our trip next month. Looks as if Hamdi is recommended by all so we are excited too add to our itinerary. Would be interested to know price range for dinner and how far in advance one needs to make a reservation. Thanks for the reviews from all - very helpful!
Last edited by HeidiandGary on Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

steve

Post by steve » Wed May 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Unsure of exact prcing at the moment, but it is moderately priced. I'd certainly make a reservation a couple of weeks in advance if you want a peak time or, say, a Saturday evening.

LSmith

Post by LSmith » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:07 am

steve wrote:Unsure of exact prcing at the moment, but it is moderately priced. I'd certainly make a reservation a couple of weeks in advance if you want a peak time or, say, a Saturday evening.
I am glad the pricing is not bad. I planned on going with my wife this summer. I also would not have expected there to be a long wait though. Similar Harrah's Hotel Las Vegas that requires you to book restaurants months in advance.I know there are other great restaurants in Vegas, check them out in Palms Hotel Reviews.

Tavsan

Post by Tavsan » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:15 am

The Cafe Rumist in Istanbul is a great place to dine. I have been there numerous times. Low-Key, comfortable but quality uncompromised. Great staff and great food!

Akbiyik Caddesi No:7, Istanbul, Turkey

Tavsan

Nightwishh

surprized thanks

Post by Nightwishh » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:59 pm

thats Great thanks