Uskudar restaurant suggestions

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

sphyrna

Uskudar restaurant suggestions

Post by sphyrna » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:01 am

After a full day touring Sultanahmet, I was thinking of grabbing a ferry from Eminou to Uskudar with my friends.
Any good restaurants in Uskudar?
One friend is allergic to seafood, so I'm thinking of either a restaurant that serves seafood and beef/chicken/vegetarian, or a 'non-seafood' restaurant.

Thanks for any suggestions!

east med wanderer
How many stars? **: 0

Kanaat Restaurant

Post by east med wanderer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:31 pm

Hi Sphyrna!

Probably the most popular restaurant in Uskudar is the Kanaat, which is pretty close to the ferry terminal.

We've eaten there a couple of times and enjoyed the food. They have a big range of vegetable and meat dishes, a wonderful dessert display and are very reasonably priced.

Have a look at this thread where I've posted a photo of our lunch there. Enjoy your visit.

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi Sphyrna and MedEastWanderer,
I agree, Kanaat is a good choice, even I have not been for a while. Food is good and also the interior is nice. I cannot remember if they serve fish at all, I think it is more like lokanta food and grilled meat.
Here is a nice website, in turkish but try to smell the aubergines.....
Afiyet Olsun!

Zeynep

Restaurants in Uskudar

Post by Zeynep » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:48 pm

I love Kanaat. You can get there by walking from the ferry boats in Uskudar, it's very central and everyone will know where it is, if you ask.

It's a cafeteria style restaurant, you can pick and choose what you want from the front area. Towards the back of the first floor dining room is the grill area, where you can put your order in for kebabs, etc.

It got mentioned as one of the 10 best restaurants in Istanbul for "zeytinyaglis", which are the cold vegetable dishes served in olive oil.

It is an especially nice place to go to during Ramazan (but very crowded, so you might want to go early).

eze

Our best lunch experience

Post by eze » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:51 am

We went to Kanaat for lunch last week end.
Superb experience. Friendly staff, very good food. Not cheap but nothing to compare to tourists traps located in Sultanahmet.
Do not hesitate !
On the other side of the medal, we had a poor experience with restaurant La Medusa, close to Agia Sofia. Expensive. Food overcooked. No Turks inside, only tourists. My first and last experience of this sort of tourist traps, even if you are given, for your confort if you dine outside, a Burberry's blanket to cover your shoulders... It was our first diner in town as we just arrived - tired, this explains that...
Burhara, on Nuruosmanye Caddesi, (Sultanahmet) not far from Medusa is much cheaper, more friendly and food is pretty good.

cherisec

Re: Our best lunch experience

Post by cherisec » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:48 am

eze wrote:La Jolla Restaurants
We went to Kanaat for lunch last week end.
Superb experience. Friendly staff, very good food. Not cheap but nothing to compare to tourists traps located in Sultanahmet.
Do not hesitate !
On the other side of the medal, we had a poor experience with restaurant La Medusa, close to Agia Sofia. Expensive. Food overcooked. No Turks inside, only tourists. My first and last experience of this sort of tourist traps, even if you are given, for your confort if you dine outside, a Burberry's blanket to cover your shoulders... It was our first diner in town as we just arrived - tired, this explains that...
Burhara, on Nuruosmanye Caddesi, (Sultanahmet) not far from Medusa is much cheaper, more friendly and food is pretty good.
[/size]
Kanaat is an excellent recommendation. You won't be disappointed!!!!!!!!!!
Safe Travels,
Cherise