Any great fish restaurant? what-how fish...

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

nhraim

Any great fish restaurant? what-how fish...

Post by nhraim » Tue May 01, 2007 8:07 am

Any great fish restaurant with view on the Bosphorus??? and not too fancy

Also, what how do istanbuliots prepare fish the best?

please no tourists crowds!

thanks

Rauf
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Rauf » Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:34 am

I think your best option is to go down to Rumeli hisari and eat a fish sandwich that they prepare there right after catching it.
Sit down on the seats or on the rocks and enjoy the view and the people.

Don't be afraid of the poeple when they try to talk to you.

another place, that's not touristy, but has not bosphorus view is Beşiktaş balık pazarı which is right in the center of Beşiktaş.

Obviously the places with a good Bosphorus view are pricey, but well worth it.
I still stand by Park Fora being the best fish restaurant in Istanbul.

Jeanne
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Jeanne » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:06 am

Many fish restaurants, a nice area for fish is on the Sea of Marmara on the European as well as on the Asian side, I like the area around Bostanci (Suadiye), Catana is a well known good restaurant.
Adres: Sahilyolu No: 40 Bostanc?
Tel: 0 216 416 96 33
0 216 416 16 83 per person count on 50 to 60 lira.
There is fish for sale just along the seafront and small stall to prepare fish. Fancy restaurants all along the seafront.
Or in Kadiköy in the market, there are small restaurants where you can eat simple meals, but delicious!
The best way of preparing fish depends on the kind of fish. Usually cupra and levrek (bass and bream) are on the gril with grilled vegetables too.
Sardines and anchois are deepfried covered corn flour.
Then there is fish that comes like steak or on a skewer (sis) like tuna and swordfish, they can come from the grill too.
Fish restaurants sometimes have fresh fish on display so you can choose your fish.
Afiyet olsun!

Zeynep

Fish restaurant in Istanbul

Post by Zeynep » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:01 am

Rauf,

I agree with you about the fish restaurant in Besiktas. My father went to the Besiktas Balikcisi??? right in the Besiktas Market (Pazar) and he raved about it.

It probably does not have a view, so I imagine it's not too expensive, but it must be very fresh. I wish I remembered the exact name. But it's right in the market.

Another place to go and have raki and fish might be in Yesilyurt (downtown area). There are some taverna type places there. No view of the water, but they are authentic (Greek style), if a bit out of the way (on the way to the airport). I went there 7 years ago and thought it was great.