Doy Doy Istanbul Sultanahmet

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

eze
How many stars? **: 0

Doy Doy Istanbul Sultanahmet

Post by eze » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:09 pm

Recomended by our hotel, Doy Doy was also cited among the good restaurants listed on our french guide "Neos" for Sultanahmet Istanbul. We went up to the terrace for diner. Splendid view over Blue Mosk. Terrace quite windy by that september 16th 2007 evening. Sweaters, please.
Very smiling welcome from staff. Food rather unimpressive. There are much better adresses in Sultanahmet. We will not return there. Rather cheap : 40 ytls including non alcoolic drink for four people.

Zeynep

Restaurants in Istanbul

Post by Zeynep » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:51 pm

Unfortunately, most restaurants in Sultanahmet are geared for tourists and the food will not be too impressive in these restaurants.

One exception is the Sultanahmet Koftecisi, which is the Turkish version of fast food. It is a place that specialized in kofte (spicy meatballs). Locals go there and it's kind of a traditional/nostalgic place. The menu is limited, but what they do, they do well.

Beyoglu and Istiklal Caddesi might be a better place for dining. I recommend a small restaurant called Sofyali. It is at the far end of Istiklal Caddesi, past the music shops. Ask people where it is and they will point you to it. Sofyali is known for their meat-stuffed grape leaves. The last time I went there, I went with 2 blonde American women and they kept bringing us meze platter after meze platter until I told them to stop. So, you do have to be careful not to overdo it there. But I like to take visitors there. It's a small restaurant.

Another fun place is in the Balik Pazari in Beyoglu. Boncuk and Nevizade are right across from each other and are fish restaurants. THey are great places to soak up the local atmosphere and have some mezes. But avoid it on Friday and Saturday nights - it's a zoo then, though at Ramazan, the crowds will be light.

eze
How many stars? **: 0

Post by eze » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:49 pm

Zeynep, thanks vm for the adresses you mentioned in your post. Ill keep them as we are to visit again Turkey next may as we wish to visit Cappadocia and Egirdir area (attracted we are by roses fields). To be honest, we really don't know where to go afterwards, as we flee crowds and touristic areas (Cappadocia excepted).
I suppose that the restaurant Kofetecisi you mentioned in your mail is the one on Divan Yolu where we saw more than 100 people queuing for diner at 10 pm. We thought this place should be exceptional but couldn't approach the door. We shall try it again next may when ramazan is over. Let's hope we shall have a better chance to enter..
Tessekür ederim for your posts !