Istanbul Restaurants: Tom's Favorites

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

Zeynep

Post by Zeynep » Fri May 13, 2005 1:44 pm

In heavy traffic, I don't know, maybe 25 minutes? I don't think you will have a problem with the Sultanahmet/Florya route, typically. Maybe the taxi driver will take you on the freeway and you can get to it in 10 minutes.

The restaurant is in a residential section and is in the far south area of Istanbul, close to the airport. So, it's not like it's in the middle of Istanbul and everyone is trying to get there during the business week.

Low likelihood that there'll be a lot of traffic going from Sultanahment to Florya...

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Post by steve » Fri May 13, 2005 1:53 pm

Excellent, thanks so much for the info.

Whilst I have your brains to pick, don;t suppose you know how long the normal and heavy traffic times are from the airport to Sultanahmet?

Zeynep

Post by Zeynep » Sat May 14, 2005 11:29 am

Hi Steve,

The travel time btwn. the airport and Sultanahmet is approximately the same as the travel time btwn. Beyti Restaurant and Sultanahmet, since the restaurant is close to the airport.

So, in light traffic, 15 minutes, in heavy traffic, maybe 25??

A taxi ride from the airport to Sultanahmet should cost approximately 15 YTL currently..Tom, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers

Rauf

Post by Rauf » Sun May 15, 2005 8:23 pm

Zeynep wrote:Hi Steve,

The travel time btwn. the airport and Sultanahmet is approximately the same as the travel time btwn. Beyti Restaurant and Sultanahmet, since the restaurant is close to the airport.

So, in light traffic, 15 minutes, in heavy traffic, maybe 25??

A taxi ride from the airport to Sultanahmet should cost approximately 15 YTL currently..Tom, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers
I think the travel time is about 20 minutes light traffic and 40 minutes with heavy traffic.
15 ytl should be correct.

Tracy

Hamdi Restaurant

Post by Tracy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:57 pm

We liked Hamdi restaurant (which you recommend, I see after our trip) so much we went 2 times! A merchant in the old bazaar recommended it after we had shared 3 cups of tea and purchased a small miniature of Istanbul. He was dead right about the recommendation. After a crowded saturday in the spice market, many, many Turks were also on the rooftop cafe with their shopping bags enjoying a late lunch. The view of Galata bridge alone was worth it. I regret not trying the made to order pancakes with sweet cheese in them--I was too full and never saw them again! bummer!

We also love Eftalya in Besiktas--very chic-- and the BEST calamari I've had ever! We went with Turkish Friends or we would have never found this place on the Bosphorus.

babakool

Post by babakool » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:58 am

Tom--I agree with you on the bread. It used to be better. When we lived in Adana in the mid-70's the sourdough bread (ekmek) was decidely heavier and grainier than today. Now it's lighter and almost like white bread. It also must not have contained any preservatives because after a day or so, if you let it sit out, you could drive nails with it. The cost was then 75 kurus, about a nickel. Just wondering if you know of any bakeries that make it the way we knew it in the 70's.

fatih

some more hidden gems of istanbul

Post by fatih » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:37 am

Hey all, some recommendations from me as well. these are not touristy places but places where people living in istanbul go to.

1. i think the best fish restaurant in town is in tarabya. it is set balik. a quick search on google will give you set balik as the top runner of the list of best fish restaurants. mezes are the best i have ever tasted. fish is great. service is great. and the most important selling point is the prices. very resaonable. it is strange but whatever you eat bill will be approximately 35ytl/head. so i recommend getting lots of mezes, and tell the waiter to bring hot mezes when they are ready. balik kokorec is excellent there.

2. another very good place to eat fish is rumeli kavagi, yakamoz restaurant. very talented chefs. have grilled lufer (blue fish) with an excellent with of the bhosphorus.

3. for an excellent view of the strait and have great food with very reasoble prices try the restaurant of the yildiz technical university in hisarustu. it is hidden on top of the rumeli hisari, just next the the second bridge. it is an excellent place to have large parties as well. food is very good and service is awesome.

4. for a little taste of up scale istanbul, try lacivert. it is near the food of the second bridge on the asian side. but go to rumeli hisari and take ride on their boat across the starit to their restaurant. their boat zigzags the strait every 10-15 mins or so docking in front of rumeli hisari. the prices are high when compared to the prices mentioned above (may be around 70 ytl per head) but not as high as park fora near ortakoy.

5. moda teras in moda is a great place to have brunch on sundays. view is probably the best in istanbul. i love this place.

6. beer in turkey is bad. all you can find (even in so called irish pubs) is efes, tuborg and corona, all pilsner. and may be heineken. taps in nisantasi is the only place i know of brews its own beer. they have nice ales. wine is also bad. there are some okay reds (like kalecik karasi) but whites would dissappoint you. could not find one good chardonay yet, or pinot noir. i miss $15 chardonays of the US (like hess select:)). i am sure you can find good wine in turkey but with outrages prices.

7. if you miss american food the closest thing to american food is probably el torito on nispetiye. it is mexican but of course americanized mexican with burritos and everything. taste is very similar to what you expect from say chili's. they serve yogurt instead of sour cream though:) seriously.

and a place to avoid:
6. new yorker in baltalimani. awful food, my god. really really awful.

DawnCo

Post by DawnCo » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:39 pm

I have to tell everyone about a restuarant that we "happened" upon in the Karakoy area of Istanbul! We are modern art aficionados, so we specifically planned a day to walk over the Galata bridge and head to the Istanbul Modern. After spending our time there, we were hungry and it was lunch time! We passed a restaurant on Kemankes Caddesi, No. 133 and it was packed with locals. We decided this was a good sign and wandered in. No English menu, but the owner was surprised and pleased that we had decided to eat in his place. Talk about a sophisticated lunch crowd and superb food!! The restaurant is named Karakoy Lokantasi. The owner talked quite a bit with us(I guess we were a novelty) as he kept his staff orderly and prompt. It was just great. Organic food and priced right. He is hoping to be open for dinner by late this year. On our way back to the Galta Bridge, we stopped at the Beyoglu Patisserie on the same street for dessert. What a great ending to a fun day! Check it out--you will not be disappointed.

Rauf

Post by Rauf » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:54 pm

Fatih: Did you try Sarafin Chardonnay?
In my opinion it's the best white wine I ever had.

In market's it 28 lira in restaurants (park fora appr. 60)

Sarafin Chardonnay
It has a deep straw color and a fruit flavor peculiar to Chardonnay. Its strong body and acrid flavor make it a perfect choice to drink alongside the main course. The Sarafin Chardonnay '99 won the silver medal at the Vinalies Internationales competition in France in 2001, the bronze and silver medals at Challenge International du Vin in France in 2000 and 2001 respectively, the bronze and silver medals at Chardonnay du Monde in France in 2002 and 2003 respectively and the gold medal at the Ljubljana Wine Competition in 2004. It is served at 8-10 degrees with main courses, spaghetti with sauce, and fish. It can be stored for 5-6 years.

Doluca Özel Kav (red)
With a deep red color and produced from grapes grown in the Diyarbakýr and Elazýg regions, Özel Kav is delicious with aromas of carnation, vanilla, damson and blackberry. It is produced with a well-balanced blend of Boðazkere and Öküzgözü grapes. Harvested in 2000, it was awarded with the gold medal at the Challenge International du Vin in France in 2001 and with the silver medal at Mode Selection contest in Belgium the same year. It is a fine accompaniment to meat, kebap, lasagna, ravioli and tortellini when served at 16-20 degrees. Özel Kav can be stored for 7-8 years.

source: MyMerhaba

tand

Post by tand » Sun May 14, 2006 7:19 pm

Beyti seems to be the best restaurant ...recommended everywhere. I looked online and found a menu. I was suprised that teh mixx grill for example was a mere 15€. Is it really that cheap?