cheap(ish) restaurants taksim area

Comments and recommendations for Istanbul restaurants

Moderator: sinan

joenix

cheap(ish) restaurants taksim area

Post by joenix » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi,
we arrive in november for a 5 day trip and would like to know what moderate to cheap restaurants are out there for an evening meal with some cheap wine (emphasis on alcohol rather than bouquet...)
we're not horribly picky eaters, but prefer sitting at a table to leaning on a counter.
we would really appreciate a few names of restaurants mainly in the taksim area but also in the old city just incase.
thank you!!!

davcamp
How many stars? **: 0

Re: cheap(ish) restaurants taksim area

Post by davcamp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:29 pm

Hello,
I was in Taksim all last week. Here's what to do - when you arrive there do not eat at any of the restaurants right on the main drag (Istiklal Caddesi). Stay away from the restaurants just off the main drag...can be expensive. Instead..walk into the side streets 100 yards or so and ask to see a menu. Often times the menus are posted on the windows or on a small stand near the entrances.
Ask about wine prices....
davcamp

joenix

Post by joenix » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 pm

thanks!
do most of the places serve alcohol with meals?
we'll keep off the main street...side streets not overrun with pickpockets then? (2 women travelling alone)
sarah

davcamp

Post by davcamp » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Hello,
Most placed in Taksim do serve alcohol with meals. Pick pockets are common in all big cities, just use common sense and you'll be ok.
Pickpocket danger is more an issue while riding buses and subway.
davcamp

http://web.me.com/dav_camp/Istanbul_Tra ... Guide.html

http://www.me.com/gallery/#100295

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:25 pm

Worth getting an idea of your budget as there are some places that are expensive by day-to-day Turkish standards, but that are amazing value compared to the equivalent quality and exclusivity in other European cities. You can push the boat out without necessarily having to push your wallet if you see what I mean.
If you like a drink with your meal then it gets a little harder. I'm talking about getting pretty lashed whilst you scoff. If that's your bag then wine is a very expensive option. Wine in Turkey is mostly crap and always overpriced. Even decent Turkish wines (of which there are very few) will be incredibly expensive. Everyone should drink responsibly and alcohol is very bad for you. However, if you don’t want to drink responsibly then I would suggest getting a taste for beer with food and raki afterwards. If that’s a little hardcore then I usually have a gin and tonic as an aperitif – ask for yerli gin which means local gin, nice with tonic and very cheap – brand names are totally overpriced; a bottle of dry white wine with the meal (even slightly sweet tastes like sherry); and a raki or two afterwards. Okay, maybe a beer on the way to the restaurant and one on the way home. Getting drunk on wine in Turkey is very expensive, but as part of a controlled diet it can play a useful accompanying role.

Bill_Miyorum
TTP Expert

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:10 pm

steve wrote: Getting drunk on wine in Turkey is very expensive, but as part of a controlled diet it can play a useful accompanying role.
:lol: :lol:

Tavsan

Post by Tavsan » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:51 pm

Simsek Pide right off Istiklal Cad is affordable great Pide. Some of the best anywhere but don't expect a lot of frills just great traditional pide. Headed on to Istiklal from Taksim past the independence monument there is a low rise round building. Turn right after that building.

Address:

Taksim Cad. 2/A, Beyoğlu/Istanbul