Baklava that tastes like lamb

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

blueberry

Baklava that tastes like lamb

Post by blueberry » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:08 pm

I was quite disappointed with the baklava I had in Turkey :( One of the highlight of my trip was to try the baklava that I've heard so much about. I am living in Moscow and we have baklava here from the supermarket that tastes really good so I thought it must be even better there where it's freshly made.

The baklava that I ate though was too sweet. The outer shell lost its crispness due to the honey that was drizzled over it. But worse still, I had quite a few baklava that tasted like lamb. I personally do not like to eat lamb at all because of its gamey smell and taste. I am wondering now if the baklava is made with the fat from the lambs.

Anyone noticed that also or was I just tasting lamb everywhere? :shock:

OFFICIAL TOUR GUIDE
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Baklava that tastes like lamb

Post by OFFICIAL TOUR GUIDE » Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:41 pm

Dear Blueberry,

Real baklava is made with butter (which is made out of cow's milk or sheep's milk) It must have been this butter which was likely to remind you of gamey smell and taste of lamb.

If you go for the second quality (where they use margarine instead of more expensive butter) you don't have this smell.

Sorry for the disappointment.

Best regards
Selahattin Tümer

selahattintumer@yahoo.com

albin

Post by albin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:14 am

I wasn't very surprised with your dissatisfaction because not everyone likes extra sweet deserts. One of my Turkish friends ate the "Russian" version of baklava and said it tasted awful so i guess everyone has their own taste. I also ate the "arabic" version and didn't enjoy it at all. It had some kind of spice in it i guess it was ginger. Also, it highly depends on where you ate it :!: btw, this is the first time that im hearing baklava tastes like lamb :D