What's safe to eat?

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

What's safe to eat?

Post by estetika » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:03 pm

When we got our 'shots' for Turkey we were advised not to eat salads and fruit and not to drink water from the tap, no icecubes, etc. On this forum or site we couldn't read anything about this subject. We were wondering what your experiences are with eating salads or fruit and taking drinks with icecubs. Hope to hear some experiences or opions from you!

How many stars? **: 0

Post by starman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:31 am

Obviously some one with no knowledge and has never been here told you that. what complete and utter rubbish, You can eat any salad or fruit here as long as its made and prepared like any where else.
Organic food is not a big deal here....why?.....because 95% of food here is organic.
Tap water you wouldnt drink from any tap in the world so bottled as usual but I use it for ice and hot drinks.
Has for shots. Didnt know Turkey came under that sort of thing and after 2 decades here I still havent come down with anything worse then a cold and I never took any shots.
Just treat Turkey in a european sense when it comes to food drinks and shots unless you go to the far eastern part of the country.

Post by papillon » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:03 am

shots for turkey??

been three times and never needed any...and I always eat whatever I want!

and the fruits and vegetables are 15thousand times better than the genetically altered ones here in the US!! :)

dont worry, use your head, if something looks sketchy dont eat it :)

Post by Segin » Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:33 pm

I think the recommendations are probably out of date but jabs or shots are still recommended by the health services for Turkey. I had the jabs on my first trip but have never bothered since and I have never even come down with a Turkish tummy. Most establishments are clean and as mentioned the food is of superb quality. The fruit, veg and meat have a taste far removed from the produce from my local supermarket in the UK.

As for the famous Turkish tummy it is likely that most incidences are caught on a plane or from buffet food in hotels or fast food establishments. This I believe is the same in the rest of the world. I would stick with restaurants where you see the Turkish eating. As for water and ice the water is actually cloronanted but has a higher mineral content than the UK at least which may account for some stomach upsets. However as it is treated it is unlikely to give you a serious bug unless the supply is not from the mains. I now drink the water in certain places that I know such as Manisa and Kozak but would not in others. To be on the safe side don't drink from the tap or have ice but the salad and fruit should be perfectly fine. Enjoy your trip.

Post by samikenina » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:14 pm

ive lived here donkeys years and never been ill..unless it was self inflicted after a night out.
i drink tap water most of the time..we also go up to the mountain and collect water from a spring .(made specially by the local council)
ive heard some rubbish told to tourists by their tour reps..i couldnt believe it...and as far as ice cubes go they are bought in wholesale from factories
nobody has the time in bars etc to be bothered fiddling with making ice cubes.

TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:46 am

Hi all,

I have also lived here for more than 8 years. I would recommend drinking bottled water while travelling. Especially in the larger cities like Istanbul or Antalya. In our home located in Antalya we have a filter system. In Cirali we drink the tap water because it comes from the mountains and Ulupinar. I eat the salads and all fruits and veggies and am still here!!!! But yes you should be careful WHERE you eat not all places are clean in preparation.

Thanks for the replies

Post by estetika » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:02 am

Thank you very much for the replies. It's weird how the public health offices here in Holland deal with Turkey in some ways. Every brochure you see warns against the water and the food (esp. salads). Thanks for reassuring us!

Post by karuna » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:51 pm

About jabs- well I was given the Hepatitis A innoculation, and the nurse said if you're in Turkey a long time she'd recommend the typhoid one.

It is interesting what they say about innoculations and food. Someone I know is going to the EU from Canada and her doctor told her to have a ton of vaccinations, ones we don't bother with, and we live here! I was quite offended by that, as if Europe is somehow less "clean" than Canada! I expect it's just as offensive when people suggest that about Turkey.

As for food, you know, food poisoning happens just about everywhere and sometimes you can't do much about it. All it takes is for one infected person not to wash their hands when cooking, and it won't matter how fresh the food looks, you're going to get ill. I got salmonella in Russia; that was fun. :?

Post by starman » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:25 pm

I got salmonella from my kitchen!!! but it was me cooking.
Once I told my doctor I was going to Oklahoma and Kansas and he suggested I get the cholera and rabies jabs :shock:

Post by Rauf » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:47 am

I bet the topicstarter is from Holland,
As I was born and raised in Holland I know that the Dutch are quite sceptical about travel to Turkey.
They tell you to take about 3 shots and also that you shouldnt eat anything, that's why the dutch bring their own food with them. just go to your local doctor about medicine and shots he/she will give you exact details.

and I was right :)
I just read Peter's reply.