What's safe to eat?

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

Tavsan
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Tavsan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:21 am

Shots? For what? Look if you are going to Turkey take some Immodium, some Rolaids, and some Tagamet. All of these are for some sort of stomach upset. If your stomach is upset nine times out of ten in Turkey it is because you aren't accustomed to eating a lot of oily food, which Turkish food can be at times or you struggle with rich food which Turkish food can be at times. Cipro or Dyoxicycline can be brought along for more stubborn bacterial infections but shots. . .
I am still scratching my head on this one. I took the aforementioned items along this time and honestly all I ever really needed was something for indigestion usually as a result of eating too much :o

I wouldn't drink tap water there but then again I wouldn't drink the tap water of any major American city either. Some people will try to tell you anything to scare you about traveling to Turkey, that fortunately is their problem. . .it doesn't need to be yours. Go ahead and consult the doctor but ask him or her realistically what is the likelihood that your really really really need to get shots of any kind before you go.

Enjoy your stay and eat whatever you want just exercise the same caution you might at home. I can tell you based on the delicious nature of Turkish food alone you may not want to come back home. :wink: But that's OK it happens to the best of us.

kanewai

Stomach Upset

Post by kanewai » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:35 pm

Actually, GI distress [tummy problems] are common among anyone who travels to a foreign country. When you are exposed to a new and foreign crop of intestinal bacteria [which we all have] you run the risk of getting an upset stomach or diarrhea. It works both ways, and has little to do with the cleanliness of a country.

Entropy

Post by Entropy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:00 pm

We ate everywhere in all sorts of cities and towns and never had a problem. The one time I did get sick in Turkey was when we were staying on a gulet and had a bbq on shore one night- I got a bit of chicken that was underdone and copped the Sultan's Revenge. To clarify: we weren't in a restaurant, and we weren't professional food handlers!...

Kanewai is spot on regarding being exposed to new intestinal flora...

peynirkafasi

Post by peynirkafasi » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:19 pm

Do tourists coming to America have any reference to anything like "Uncle Sam's revenge"? :D

Entropy

Post by Entropy » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:17 pm

Heh. Good question. I can't say I've ever heard an Australian equivalent either. Roo's Revenge? Brissie Belly?... :)

Marilyn

Post by Marilyn » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:37 am

I think I would be considering "shots" to come to North America! Hopefully they will prevent anyone from catching cardiovascular disease and all of the associated health conditions related to overeating and ingesting the multitude of additives and preservatives that are injected into the malignant foods of our society.

I actually learned HOW to eat when I went to Turkey. I learned to eat fresh. I learned to eat when I was hungry and I learned not to snack on junk foods. It actually saddens me to see the infiltration of fast food places popping up all over the place in Turkey......even the dreaded Starbucks is on Istiklal. Save me! :roll: I recall the first time I went to Turkey taking note of how trim the population appeared to be compared to that of North America.

I have worked as a nurse in community health for many years and there is no need for any Canadian at least to be inoculating themselves against anything when traveling to Turkey. This type of misinformation is an injustice to the country and leads me to reflect on a quote from Charles Dickens about lack of knowledge.

"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,
and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy,
for on his brow I see that written which is Doom."

A little gloomy......yes, but still, in Dickens wisdom he knew that lack of knowledge or "ignorance" was a danger to peace in our society for it is a precursor to intolerance and discrimination. It is essential that we be knowledgeable about our neighbours and represent them well. Turkey is a pretty cosmopolitan place and it needs to be represented and hopefully kept that way.

DPT/POLIO stands for diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus and polio~~~the "T" is NOT for Turkey :wink:

..........................................................................................................

peynirkafasi

Post by peynirkafasi » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:06 pm

Thank you for this post!

Most of the traditional worries are quite unfounded. The "health risks" and the "terrorism" are two of the biggies. I was in DC a couple weeks back. Don't get me wrong, I love DC in its own way, but the threats in DC are much more real than anything I've experienced in Istanbul.

Even so, the familiar and common risks at home are generally accepted more than unfamiliar (but often smaller) risks we take when we travel to Turkey.

If we need to be scared of something, Istanbul drivers are probably more on target. :)

-Jason

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:59 pm

thanks for that great post Marilyn...so true. i too worked many years in public health in the UK and for a country with so many advantages the lack of knowledge(aka ignorance) was depressing.
im with you when you feel sad about the influence of junk and fast food that is creeping in. the latest things ive seen now in supermarkets is the arrival of ready meals... :cry:

mH

How about an allergy to tomatoes and eggplant?

Post by mH » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:08 am

We will be travelling next month with a friend who seriously cannot eat these two things or anything made with them. Eggplant is usually obvious,but tomatoes sometimes creep into sauces.

Any tips?

And also,how do you say? Are there tomatoes in this dish?

I am allergic to tomatoes!

Thanks

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:52 pm

I've been to various European countries many times, and each time - no matter where I've been to - I've got "movement" problem and consequently toilet problem...you know...no water to clean up in Turkish way.

Tomato is the main material in most Turkish sauces, you gotta tell the waiter that you don't want anything with tomato.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are