Arak / Ouzo / Raki

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

Rickster
How many stars? **: 0

Arak / Ouzo / Raki

Post by Rickster » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:23 pm

Merhaba --

While in Turkey, I'm hoping to develop a better understanding of the different qualities and variations of the anis-flavored, distilled grape or raisin drinks Arak, Ouzo, and Raki.

Here in the states, it seems that Ouzo is always from Greece. We have an Arak from Lebanon. And years ago, at least, it was possible to get Turkish Raki in Los Angeles, where there is a sizeable Armenian population.

Are there any especially well-made or distinctive Turkish brands I should seek out and try? I'd be interested to hear what you like or dislike.

Tessekuler!

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:41 am

Dear Rickster

Try this link, I think it may answer you questions about Raki. I only drink a bit in the winter time with my husband over a nice dinner with lots of "mezes". He is more an expert than myself. I tend more towards Efes beer and Turkish Wines.

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/Trav ... /Raki.html

Enjoy 8)
Carrie

Rickster

Post by Rickster » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:24 pm

Thaks, Carrie -- I should have known our man Tom would be a couple of steps ahead of me on this subject! Cheers!

Entropy

Post by Entropy » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:38 pm

Just discovered my local liquor store sells Efes Dark! In Australia! Brilliant!... :D

L

Helena

Re: Arak / Ouzo / Raki

Post by Helena » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:43 pm

Are there any especially well-made or distinctive Turkish brands I should seek out and try? I'd be interested to hear what you like or dislike.

Tessekuler![/quote]

Dear Rickster

I liked Tekirdag brand, it's very good, both Gold and ordinary kinds.
And I enjoyed it straight on ice, or with a very small quantity of water, a few drops actually - so that the raki stays clear, not foggy.

Serefe! :D
Live in Moscow, but fell in love with Istanbul

Al
TTP Expert

Post by Al » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:04 pm

I've noticed in more rural areas, roadside vendors sell homemade raki in big plastic jugs or bottles. I like my eyesight too much to have ever tried any.

Rauf

Post by Rauf » Fri May 05, 2006 6:13 am

I only drink two brands of Raki.
Yeni Rakı
and Kulüp Rakı.
Kulüp is the best you can get but it's even hard to find in Istanbul.
Go for Yeni Rakı.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Fri May 05, 2006 11:18 am

I've noticed in more rural areas, roadside vendors sell homemade raki in big plastic jugs or bottles. I like my eyesight too much to have ever tried any.
Yes be careful where you buy your raki. There has been alot of problems in Turkey with fake raki that is lethal. Either from a big market and make sure the seal has not been broken. Also look for the licence ( Tekel ) to sell liquer products this way it is controlled by the goverment.

Deeminor

Post by Deeminor » Sun May 07, 2006 9:31 am

Especially in the south east parts, in rural areas, people also produce their own Raki, its called 'bogma raki' (soft g) and i have never tried it but i heard so many times that its better than the ones in the market, but still its not wise to take the risk, at least i personally wouldnt do it. Go for Tekirdag, its great, but take your time and drink slowly otherwise you may wake up with a horrible headache :)

Tavsan

Post by Tavsan » Sun May 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Yep! Be careful on the homemade stuff. They had some difficulties a while ago with conterfeit Raki that was killing people. Raki is so widely available you can get it from a reputable store. Make sure when you are drinking Raki and if you are sitting while doing so . . . stand up slowly. :lol: Also, here in the US it isn't common for people to "chase" hard liquor with beer when drinking it. You chase Raki with ice water trust me. ICE WATER. They call it Lion's Milk for a reason. :P