Pilav ( Rice ) recipes

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

carrie
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Pilav ( Rice ) recipes

Post by carrie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:06 pm

Some recipes that I found interesting.

"Pilav is the most basic meal of Turkish cuisine and can be made from rice, bulgur and arpa şehriye (noodles). You can also cook various kinds of pilav such as plain, with tomatoes, with meat and chicken stock. İç pilav, or pilav with almond and raisins are for more stylish tables. In short you can create several cold and warm pilavs. "

http://www.mymerhaba.com/en/main/content.asp_Q_id_E_989

Yummy!!!
Carrie 8)

SusanInToronto

Post by SusanInToronto » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:04 pm

Hi Carrie - sounds great!
Susan B

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:48 pm

hi Carrie..i agree with you. i especially love pilav topped with a mix of fried raisins chopped almonds onions and musrooms..its super. i also like to colour it with saffron and add mixed veg.
i also think a pilav made from bulgur is easier than with rice.
other variations are pilav with green lentils and also with nohut(chick peas)
there is an abundance of super turkish recipes at Food Down Under...sorry i haven't got the url. :? .i will find it tho and post it :)
ive just been baking jam tarts and its like feeding an elephant with strawberries as Yusuf loves them so much

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:53 pm

his is the url http://www.fooddownunder.com
and how do you make a pilav with arpa..isnt that barley...have you got a recipe...and bit off topic but do you know that there is a xmas bazaar in the Talya Hotel this sunday...funds are towards getting equipment for sick children

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:14 am

Dear samikenina,

Is the IWA X-mas bazaar this weekend???? Do you know the dates and times??

Thank
Carrie

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:48 pm

Hi all,
I will give my recipe for pilav with arpa here. Arpa is no barley it is a riceshaped pasta, it gives a typical roasted taste to the rice.
I always use Baldo rice for cooking a good quality pilav.
To one cup of rice you have to use one cup of hot water and a soup spoon of arpa.
The Turkish people usually cook their rice with butter, but I prefer to use riviera olive oil.
The best is to use a tefal non stick pan.
1 - First of all the rice has to be washed and soaked in cold water for at least half an hour.
2 - Put a little bit of olive oil in the pan and add the arpa rice. You have to roast this a little bit until the colour changes into light brown. Be careful to not let it burn.
3 - Then add one cube of chicken stock per cup of rice until melted in.
Then add the rice.
4 - Add the soaked rice well washed and also roast a little bit longer together with the arpa.
5 - Last add the boiling hot water and reduce the fire and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Do not stirr in this time at all!
Check the rice by tasting, if ready turn off the fire stirr the cooked rice so the arpa is nicely divided and let it rest just for 10 minutes or so.

Afiyet Olsun!