Supermarkets?

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

xikita
How many stars? **: 0

Supermarkets?

Post by xikita » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:34 am

Hi everyone :)

Im thinking about going to Istanbul with my boyfriend for about a week in April. Right now Im just trying to figure out what it would cost, since we're on a tight budget.

The thing is, I am a picky eater :oops: . It would make the experience so much easier for me and my stomach if I could just buy some groceries in the supermarket (like bread, cheese, ... ) to prepare my own food some of the days.

So my question is, can I find supermarkets easily? and how are the prices?

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:58 am

Hey Xikita, do you think Turkey's like Afghanistan? Of course you can easily find supermarkets everywhere. There are also "bakkals" and "büfes" in almost every streets, where you can find bread, cheese, "sucuk", "pastırma" etc. very delicious snacks. The prices in bakkals are a little higher than supermarkets, but in case you need something urgent, you can get what you want. A normal bread is 35 krş (aprx 25 cents)
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

xikita

Post by xikita » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:20 pm

Thanks for your reply :)

Let me explain myself, though. I see now that I sounded like I thought Istanbul was some old 3rd world country city - but I definitelty didn't mean that.

When I was in Paris a few years ago, I had trouble finding supermarkets in the touristy places. Same thing in my city, Barcelona: you won't easily find supermarkets near La Pedrera - although in my neighbourhood you'll find 1 in every corner.
Last edited by xikita on Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

papillon

Post by papillon » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:26 pm

If you're looking for major supermarkets here are some names to remember....if you see any of these go inside and check out your supermarket ;)

Migros (with any number of 'M's before it..it may say MMMigros, depending on the size...the more M's the bigger Migros it is :))

Tansas

Gima

:) Enjoy
(im a picky eater, too....don't worry you'll be fine!) :)

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:57 pm

There are also smaller size discount markets such as "şok" "dia sa" "bim" "mopaş" and others which are more easy to find in the neighbourhood.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

starman

Post by starman » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:45 am

and dont forget the largest supermarkets of them all, Carrefour.
I recommend Sampiyon aswell and also Macrocentre

Zeynep

Supermarkets

Post by Zeynep » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:17 pm

I just discovered a fantastic supermarket in Istanbul. It is called Makro. It is like Whole Foods Market in the US. Very upscale and pleasant displays, all wood-paneling, etc. You can find them on the European side of Istanbul.

Migros is everywhere and I lalso ike to shop at Gima, another popular chain.

LemonLady

Post by LemonLady » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:37 pm

8) I go in and out of Istanbul very often and I love to shop in supermarkets and the small grocery stores in my Sultanahmet neighborhood. I often buy bread, cheese and fruit to eat in the comfort of my hotel. Also I like to buy sandwiches in my local bufe. I also buy iced tea and water so I won't be subject to the high prices of the hotel minibar, cookies, candy and naturally pastries are available from local shops. I am a late night snacker and enjoy these snacks while watching tv at night just as I do in New York. On my last visit during Ramazan, I sat out on my little balcony looking at the beautiful lights on all the Mosques, listening to the music and people while enjoying my iced tea and special fig pastry. Only heaven left I thought to myself. So enjoy yourself.

charley48

Post by charley48 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:33 pm

I am also a picky eater and love to have my own food in a hotel. Like LL, i enjoy eating at my leisure in the room, hopefully on a balcony!! There are lots of markets, very assesable.
I find to take home for presents (my husband is so patient, he says that if there is a supermarket near, he'll be in there!!) spices and anything else that is truely from the country where i am visiting. You can buy spices all over Turkey, but the ones in the store, have the real writing on them. Actually, even being a cook, it is hard to decipher which are which. Sometimes they are written in English in small letters, somewhere. Honey is great from the local markets...you will find lots of fun and intersting things in the supermarkets. One of my favorites, although i don't eat them, are Pringles. In other countries they have flavors you can't get in the states...like Thailand has curry, Greece has the cucumber taste, and Turkey has thyme. Check out the potato chips, in Turkey they come with olive oil and oregano...fun and enjoy