Turkish Food Cookbooks

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

east med wanderer
How many stars? **: 0

Turkish Food Cookbooks

Post by east med wanderer » Wed May 31, 2006 1:39 pm

I spend quite a lot of time trying to recreate some of the many wonderful meals we've had in Turkey.

The books I have used so far are

Classic Turkish Cookery by Ghillieand Jonathan Basan
The Sultan's Kitchen by Ozcan Ozan
and The Cooking of Greece and Turkey by Rena Salaman

Just wondering if anyone can recommend any other cookbooks or websites on Turkish food.

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:10 am

Good cooking books are from Ayse Tüter, but you have to be able to read turkish!

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi Jeanne!

I think I would understand the ingredients list but I would have problems reading the cooking instructions! That could be a recipe for disaster! Time to take a crash course in Turkish maybe.

I'm surprised at the small number of Turkish cookery books by Turkish cooks which are available in English. It's a pity that one of the great cuisines of the world - that of the Ottoman courts, is not better known.

Zeynep

Turkish Cookbooks

Post by Zeynep » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 pm

Hi, As a Turkish-American, I like to use: Ayla Algar's books. She is based in Berkeley, CA. She has 2 books, both of which I use.

Also, Neset Eren's cookbook is a classic, if you can find that one still. She is the wife of the former Turkish Ambassador to the US so she is very experienced in entertaining Turkish style.

If you are in Turkey, you can always pick up a Turkish cookbook in the Grand Bazaar or somewhere. They are written in many languages

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi Zeynep!

Thanks for your recommendations. We just arrived back home from Turkey yesterday and saw your post a few days earlier - I don't use the internet much when we're travelling.

We managed to find one of the Ayla Algar books (Classical Turkish Cooking) at Metro Kitabevi on Istiklal Cad. on Monday last, when we were walking from Sultanahmet to Haci Abdullah's for lunch there. The shop owner didn't seem to recognise Neset Eren's name so I might have more problems finding it, but I've seen plenty of recipes in the Ayla Algar that will keep me busy over the coming weeks.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:12 pm

Dear east med wanderer,

Gald you had a nice time. Enjoy your cooking and hopefully you will get a chance to write a follow up report of your trip.

Best wishes,
Carrie

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:15 pm

Hi Carrie!

We were actually down your way, in Cirali, for a few days but stayed in one of the small pensions down by the beach. The weather turned atrocious, incessant thunderstorms and torrential rain, some of the worst I've ever seen. The river was almost over the bridge as we were leaving and sizeable pieces of trees were floating downstream. I hope Cirali escaped the serious damage that affected other parts of the South.

Restaurant and hotel reviews, trip report and photos to follow, as soon as I get organised.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi east med wanderer,

Thanks for your reply and your concerns for Cirali. We were lucky with the bad weather no major damage, only lost one plum tree. But of course had a mess of leaves etc to clean up.

Actually for me I was in Antalya during that time but my husband was there and the entire village was wilthout power for more than 2 days. I guess one the the trees fell during the storm and hit the power lines. I was in Cirali over the bayram holiday for 4 days.

Too bad you did not drop in to say hi and for a nice cup of coffee or tea. Maybe next time?? I do hope that you enjoyed your time spent in Cirali however, even if the weather was bad and I look forward to your travel reports and photos. :D

best regard,
Carrie 8)

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:50 am

Hi again,

Just found this web site today about a turkish cookbook and thought you might find it interesting

Secrets of the Turkish kitchen, written by Angie Mitchell

http://www.turkishkitchen.org/

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi again Carrie!

Thanks for your cookbook recommendation - I will certainly add it to my list.

About Cirali - we arrived there after the four day holiday so assumed you were in Antalya, otherwise we would have dropped in to see you. As you say, maybe next time. Actually we did enjoy Cirali very much as it only rained on the last day we were there. We had visited it briefly before, when we stayed at Olympos some years ago, so this time we planned to stay in Cirali. Great to see that there has been very little more development there - it's a great place to relax and wander around.