Food allergies

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

mayhem83

Food allergies

Post by mayhem83 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:55 pm

Hello everyone.

This is on behalf of my aunt, who is looking forward to a holiday in turkey but has just been diagnosed with a load of food allergies. She'd like to ask 2 questions....

1) are there any restrictions as to taking food in/out of turkey?

2) does anyone know if you can buy soya milk in turkish supermarkets?

Hope these aren't daft questions, any help very much appreciated

Jeanne
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Jeanne » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi there!
I have bought Soya milk in Migros in Fethiye, but there is no guarantee it is always there. One woman always bring rice milk from the UK.
I do not think there are any restrictions, so far I live here for 6 years now and a lot of stuff has been brought over to me from Holland. Yes, chocolate sprinklers, Dutch cheese and coffee, peanutbutter, smoked pork sausage....
I see lots of people with special diets and allergies and there has never been a problem.
What about goatmilk? Can she have that? It seems to be very healthy and no allergy problems as cowmilk gives.
Good luck.

SillyYak

Post by SillyYak » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:33 am

Hi Jeanne, do you know if gluten and wheat free bread is available in Turkish shops?

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Hello SillyYak, I know there is Pompernikkel a black German rye bread in the bigger supermarkets for sale. Then there is also Glutenfree Muesli from "Doga" for sale and ricecrackers.
This I know for sure, but special glutenfree bread I have not seen in Fethiye where I sometimes have to do special shopping for customers.
In Istanbul I never really payed attention, but what I say above is available in Migros and Carrefour.
Good luck!

SillyYak

Post by SillyYak » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:49 pm

Hiya. Thanks for the info. Unfortunately wheat, rye, barley and oats are permanently off the menu so the black German rye bread is out. I'll have a look when i get there. Maybe i'll get lucky. Thanks again.

Zeynep

Food allergies

Post by Zeynep » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:39 pm

As Jeannie mentions, Migros or other large supermarkets, such as Gima, now have a small section for organic products. There is also a small chain of stores called City Farm in Istanbul, where you can buy organic foods. You can look online at their products (http://www.cityfarm.com.tr) and to see where they are located in Istanbul (Etiler, Yenikoy, Besiktas, etc.). Unfortunately the English website is under construction, but if you have a question, you can go ahead and email them in English and someone should be able to respond, no prob. Beyoglu is another place where you might find specialized foods. I think you will need to ask around. In Antalya, there is a wonderful organic restaurant/food store called "Bugday" in case your relative is going to Antalya.