Red Lentil Soup

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

How many stars? **: 0

Post by Much2CnDeu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:59 pm

In the U.S., a cup is 8 oz ... but heck. Grab a cup, measure the lentils, and there you are. The ratio of beans to broth/water should hold, tho.

Some people cook w/o using a recipe - bit of this, some of that - while others prefer measuring ingredients. Whatever works! Last night, I made the soup again and added more tomato juice. The soup was pretty thick, and I had been too generous with the chili pepper flakes(!). :? Ah well.

Ali Asterisk

Post by Ali Asterisk » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:22 pm

East Med Wanderer, I was intrigued with your question re cups and ounces or grams. Armed with my measuring cups and electronic scales this is what I came up with:-

red lentils - 1 cup = 7 ounces = 200g
water (didn't have tomato juice to hand) - 1 cup = 8fl ounces = 230 ml.

UK cooks get down to your nearest Lakeland Ltd for measuring cups or buy online -!10952

Tavsan - I made the lentil soup (with passata and vegetable stock) and it was delicious (couldn't make it last more than two days :( ). I've dug out my american muffin cook books as well so I can try cornmeal muffins.

Please could you post up the yoghurt soup recipe? I for one love yoghurt soup.

Keep up the soup ideas everyone.

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi Much2CnDeu!

I went ahead and made it before reading your reply - I actually measured out 8 ounces of lentils (1 cup) and 3 and a half pints of chicken stock (6 and a half cups) and that seemed to work fine.

I tend to cook new dishes as per the recipe and then experiment when I feel I'm on the right track - most of my cookery books have pencilled in notes all over them, relating to quantities, ingredients, cooking times etc and already Ayla Algar's recipe is shifting geographically towards Eastern Turkey with the additions of black pepper, kirmisi biber and now, fresh coriander. I also added 6 tablespoons of yoghurt, cut out the eggs and used half in half olive oil and butter. I'm more or less happy with it now and after another batch I'll post it up on this thread for your collective comments. I'm not too happy though with the supermarket where I bought the bread to go with the soup - a petite Parisienne, which was so doughy in the centre that we could only eat the ends! Must mention it to them today!

Thanks for your reply. I think I got pretty close to the quantities you suggest and only this morning realised that my made in Mexico blender has one of the graduations marked on the side in cups. We've had it for a couple of years - it's amazing what you don't see!

We had some excellent yoghurt soup at Jeanne and Atilla's place near Fethiye,

so if you are reading this Jeanne I wonder if you would be prepared to post the recipe?

Post by Much2CnDeu » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:21 pm

Your soup sounds amazing! And per Ali's post, the soup doesn't last more than a few days. Nothing like a good bowl of soup on a cold winter day.

Post by Jeanne » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:59 pm

Hi Med East Wanderer and all other soup lovers,

I guess as originating from Holland, in the cold winter months I grew up with soup, soup was always the starter in my family.
I learned from my mother the traditional Dutch ones like grean pea soup. The dry split-peas so far I could not find anywhere else than in Holland and it goes toghether with delicious smoked porksausage.
The Turkish lentille soup might be remotely similar to this pea soup. Mine comes always without tomato, with mint and very tasty add some cumin. Last 20 minutes I add pasta, the Turkish 'arpa' what looks like a rice grain.
And on special request I will put in my yoghurtsoup very soon.
Afiyet Olsun!

Post by Tavsan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:53 am

I will indeed post the yogurt soup soon. I need to slow my wife down long enough to transcribe it since it is either written in Turkish or in her head somewhere. Finals are approaching and we are up to our eyeballs in grading.

As far as Turkish bread goes I wax romantically about it in one of my pieces under the Visiting Turkey Right Now heading where I talk about the ingenious invention of the Turkish bread machine which is simply a plastic bag hung on a door knob outside the apartment. Some time during the night or early morning hours the bread magically appears in the bag before breakfast. I always use the price of bread in Turkey as a barometer for our visit. The cheaper the bread and the fresher the bread the better the trip generally. I will never forget being near outside Kusadasi one summer very near The Love Beach in Duvatler and going to the roadside store early enough that the bread in the display case was still warm. I think it came in under .20 (twenty cents) a loaf that year and the oven was wood-fired. :P Of course that was also the year I discovered fistik tuzlu (very salty peanuts) and 22 oz Efes Light Beer. It was a very good year.