Turkish wine?

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

suiko6

Turkish wine?

Post by suiko6 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:24 pm

I'm a serious wine geek shortly to go on holiday to Turkey and am wondering whether I should give it a miss, or if there is any real interest in store. Obviously I'm not expecting anything that competes with the best from Spain or Italy :), but I'd just like to know if there is anything reasonably priced - ie no "icon" bottlings at €50 a pop - and interesting to drink, or if I'd be better off drying out for a week - as I have done in Morocco, Tunisia, "Yugoslavia" (except Slovenia) and, yes, the US :)

cheers

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Post by steve » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:44 pm

I don't think that any Turks on this board would be offended if I described the majority of Turkish wine as overpriced vinegar. Same is true for Cyprus - North and South, where a bottle of Le Piat d'Or is seen as an exotic tipple. Turkey does so many things well, but wine really isn't one of them. Enjoy the great food and weather, but wash it down in an Efes (beer) or a Raki (rocket fuel). You can rarely find foreign wine and when you do it is poor, over-taxed and overpriced. The major exception to this rule is Cappadocian wine (although I undertand that there are a couple of other areas that produce decent stuff but I don't know enough to comment). They know what they're doing in and around Cappadocia and the soil and grapes returns a decent bottle of wine. Most things from the Turasan vineyard are great, but only great in so far as a decent bottle of wine - equal to a modest bottle in Western Europe. They do a cracking sweet red though, very odd and like a light Port - I'd take a bottle of that home, but wouldn't bother about much else. Chances of finding even Cappadocian wine on the south coast is pretty unlikely though.

Karynvenus

Turkish wines

Post by Karynvenus » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:45 pm

As a bit of a wine lover myself, I'd say definitely give the Turkish drop a go. The areas with the best reputations for producing wines are Ankara, Pamukkale and Cappadocia. The ranges and selections of wines are expanding every year and the quality is also becoming more consistant. If you fancy fruit wines, Sirince seems to be the place to go and if you're more daring, try some of the wines still produced by the small villiages if you have the opportunity. As for price, a decent standard sized bottle shouldn't be more than 30 lira .

suiko6

Post by suiko6 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:56 pm

Yeah, I feared as much :) And when I can finally take a bottle in my (only) hand luggaeg, too. Still, it'll have to be olive oil instead - any good varieties/brands?

east med wanderer

Post by east med wanderer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:19 pm

Turkey and Greece are not generally thought of as fine wine producing countries but as a habitual wine drinker with a taste for French, Australian and Chilean reds, I find most Turkish red wines drinkable if unmemorable.

I also think that many of the more popular brands are overpriced compared to wines from around the world, especially when served in restaurants and there is no way I'm going to pay the equivalent of £10 for a fairly poor wine. I've read that the high prices are due to recent hikes in taxation. Certainly prices seem to have rocketed in the last five years but you can still find locally produced wines for a few £'s a bottle.

These may be the illegal ones that Tom mentions (ie no tax paid) but they're openly on sale in many places so I've never been able to figure out what's going on. I wonder if one of our Turkish members can enlighten me on this?

Alan

suiko6

Post by suiko6 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:18 pm

There is quite a bit of good stuff in Greece. Not at all convinced abot Turkey - I shall have to do a little academic research :) , but everything seems to indicate it isn't good VFM.

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:45 pm

We Turks are never vine gourmets, our favorites are always raki (good definition steve:D, but we mostly call it lion milk), and Efes beer. All vines taste same to me :? Once I was chatting with one of our customers, who was an Austrian gentleman liking vine; he told me that Doluca Rose was his favorite Turkish vine. Anyway, the best way is to discover yourself. You can find almost all Turkish brands and many Western vines in large supermarkets like Carrefour. Yarasın :)
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

geroll

some of them are now pretty good

Post by geroll » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:55 pm

Since several years the quality has improved a lot. Best grapes in turkey are:
for the red ones
kalecik karasi,oküzgözu,bogazkere
for ther white ones
emir, semillon and sultaniye for the half dry.

Best wine yard, in my personal opinion, is Turasan (try the "seneler" in red and white and their "cabernet sauvignon", and also their kalecik karasi and bogazkere-okuzgozu, then Kavaklidere wineyard and Doluca wineyard only for its "DLC" trade mark.

Wines are very expensive, yes, this is due to the very hight taxes, around 60% on the production price. If you buy a good wine directly in a wineyard it will cost around 10 euros, of course in a restaurant the same wine will cost at least 25 or 30 euros.

enjoy your wine - Gérard - http://www.orangeraie-de-finike.com

margaretp

Post by margaretp » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Certainly, I wouldn't class myself as an expert, but I know what I like and find at the supermarkets I can usually pick up some special offers!! we tend to buy in bulk when we spot bargains!! For red, my two favourites are Villa Doluca and Angora (10 -12 YTL in Fethiye). This is probably about equal to what I pay in UK (again supermarket offers) and , I think, of a similar quality. White, I can usually get a litre of Kavak for about the same price, but I really only drink white as a spritzer, so not so worried about quality!

Would agree that at restaurants it is not vfm, I find it better value just to order a glass and the other half sticks to efes.
MPD

geroll

The best of the worth

Post by geroll » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:40 pm

Impossible not to answer to the post of Margaret. This thread is supposed to give opinion about wines, not about red or white liquids! Villa Doluca and Angora are very common liquids, especially in red. In white they are drinkable at 10 am with oysters and mussels instead of black coffe, in red I do not know their use! most of restaurants propose only Villa Doluca or Cankaya or Yakut, the best wines among the worst ones, that is why Turkish wine has such a bad reputation. If good wines are too expensives, drink beers, Efes is quite good! (only if you like english beer, not for belgium beers addicts)
Sorry to be agressive but I do like wine!
Gerard - http://www.orangeraie-de-finike.com