Turkish wine?

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

suiko6

Post by suiko6 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:17 am

Can't imagine you would have any problem taking it in after the flight, even with US paranoia.

Bill_Miyorum
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Turkish wine?

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:55 pm

I bought a blend made of the Boğazkere and Öküzgözü varieties duty-free at Istanbul Atatürk Airport, and it turned out to be very good. The producer was Turasan. I paid much more in a shop at Moda for a blend of the same varieties made by a different producer, and it was feeble. :?

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:09 pm

O, these 2 wines (Boğazkere and Öküzgözü) are very good, not really cheap in the supermarket.
For a good table wine, so cheap, 1 liter bottle I was always in favor of Dikmen from Kavaklidere, now there is 'Cumartesi' from Kayra with liters as well and is an easy, fine and cheap table wine.
Kayra comes also with very good wines called 'Terra'.
Cheers all!

lorien_i

Post by lorien_i » Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:33 am

We ran into a Turkish man in the square at Mustafpasha who spoke French to us (why he thought we'd speak French, I'm not sure, but we're Canadian and have a smattering of the language). He said he learned French in France when he went there to work in the wine industry and was now involved in it in Cappadocia (the self-proclaimed wine centre of Turkey). When we asked how Turkish wine was, he gave us a very diplomatic "comme ci, comme ca" which didn't really inspire us. We had a sample while on a tour, and he was right -- it was pretty average. Drinkable, but a little raw.

Bill_Miyorum
TTP Expert

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:27 am

Times are changing. Wine writers including Jancis Robinson and Oz Clarke are talking about Turkish wine, and in far from derogatory terms! They're not saying all Turkish wine is good, but they have spotted the fact that some of the wines from the Likya Winery situated near Antalya (with which I have no connection :wink: ) have recently won some serious awards, and it is clear that they feel the gongs were merited. Visit the winery's website at http://www.likyawine.co.uk/index.html, from which UK customers can buy.

SwampeastMike

Post by SwampeastMike » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:37 am

Wine is terribly subjective, but those from the Kocabag (Cappadocia) winery seem very nice--especially the "dry red". I shared a bottle with the manager of a Bodrum hotel where we had an extended stay and he seemed extremely impressed. "Where did you get this? Do you know this is the only wine that the richest man in Turkey will drink?" Cost was moderate at the winery but no Turkish restaurants seem to stock and I certainly can't find in the U.S.A. Too bad wine is so darned heavy in the luggage and expensive to ship...

Bill_Miyorum
TTP Expert

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:34 pm

I buy wine from one of the most highly regarded wine "clubs" in the UK, a mutually-owned body founded in 1874. Last year, Turkish wine finally made an appearance in the club's range, in the shape of a 2009 vintage single-varietal Kalecik Karası from the Vinkara Winery, which is located in the small town of Kalecik, in the province of Ankara. The grapes used to make this particular wine came from Vinkara's own vineyards, which lie just outside the town of Kalecik and benefit from the protection afforded by the nearby mountains as well as from the temperature-moderating effect of the Kızılırmak River. Kalecik Karası is an indigenous Turkish red grape used in the production of wines that have been compared with red Burgundy. Not being familiar with Kalecik Karası, I couldn't say whether the bottle I bought was a good ambassador for the grape, but I have a lot of faith in my wine club's buyers, and can vouch for the elegance and smoothness of Vinkara's product. Glowing members' reports soon piled up on the club's website and stocks sold out quickly. I hope that the buyers will deem the 2010 to be worthy of inclusion on the club's list. :D

http://www.vinkara.com/

Bill_Miyorum
TTP Expert

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:46 pm

UK-based members of the forum may be interested to hear that Marks and Spencer (with which I have no connection) is currently offering a Turkish wine called "Sevilen", which is made from Öküzgözü grapes grown near Elazığ. I'll re-phrase that: I found this wine in my local M&S, which doesn't normally offer the world's most interesting vinous selection, so there must be a good chance that a lot of other branches of M&S are offering Sevilen. I have never before known M&S to stock Turkish wine; there's clearly something going on. :D