Turkey food

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

Turkey food

Post by HoboKelly2007 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:08 pm

I'm new here and wanted to know if anyone has gone to Turkey and what did you eat there. I'm a veggie/non-dairy and the food in Turkey looks like it may give me a hard time.
if anyone can send me info at HoboKelly2007@wikichat.com I'd really appreciate.

How many stars? **: 0

Post by Jeanne » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Hi HoboKelly,
I do not think it will be that hard at all actually. There is so much to choose from, not specificly for vegetarians but go to a lokanta where they serve all the food cooked in olive oil, all the vegetables are fresh from the season.
I particular love the barbunya beans, a freckled bean, when cooked the color blends) or kuru fasulye (dry white beans cooked in tomato sauce).
Try the stuffed cabbage leaves, stuffed peppers (sometimes it can have minced meat so check), stuffed aubergines called Imam bayildi what means the imam fainted) lovely salalds.
Mücver is a pancake usually from zucchini, or a mixture of zucchini and carrots.
Or soups, the lentil soup is like a meal, very nice!
Then there is fish, bass, bream, anchovi, red mullet, many from the grill, or fried in oil.
Böreks, the lasagne type of pastries, some have cheese, some have minced meat, but there is almost always a vegetable (spinach) variety.
In probably all restaurants you will find vegetable dishes that are not specifically meant for vegetarians.
Good luck and good appetite!

Turkey food

Post by Zeynep » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:50 am

Jeannie summarized your meal options perfectly. The soups are a great option as your main entree and there are many bean dishes available as your entree.

Although there seems to be a kebab restaurant on every corner, in fact, Turkey can be a vegetarian's paradise. There is almost always a vegetarian option on the menus, you just have to ask.

There are some vegetarian restaurants in Beyoglu in Istanbul. There used to be Nature & Peace (I don't know if they are still open) and also Zencefil.

Re: Turkey food

Post by HoboKelly2007 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks for your responses. More ideas welcome at HoboKelly2007@wikichat.com