Ramadan in Turkey

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

Wojcziboy

Ramadan in Turkey

Post by Wojcziboy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:42 am

Dear Friends,

Should I expect any difficulties with buying food during Ramadan in Turkey, especially in east areas?
Are there shops and bars closed?

I will be very grateful for reply.

The warmest greetings,

Wojtek

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Ramadan in Turkey

Post by David Morgan » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:44 pm

See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2056

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:17 pm

Wojtek
Sure you should expect many difficulties with buying food during Ramadan in Turkey, especially in east areas. (I censured my own words)
the shops are not closed but bars are closed. In East Turkey we hear that there are no bars, even no restaurants serving alchol even beer. The shops are not allowed to sell alchol. 2 days ago, even in Ankara's township Keçiören a shopkeeper was hit seriously by municipal officials because he was selling alchol in his shop. ( censur)
Dont go to East Turkey during Ramadan.
Don't die before visiting Turkey

sarahm46

Post by sarahm46 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:35 am

Hi Tosun,

I am off tomorrow morning for my great adventure. Thank you for all the great tips! I will be teaching at METU foundation schools. I will teach English to 2, 4, and 5th grade/level students and I am very excited as I am use to teaching high school kids and adults and I love children.

I will keep up with this forum to help others or to meet others while I am there. I arrive in Ankara (all being well) on Monday afternoon and start teaching the following Monday.

Just a couple of questions before I go to sleep..

Could you give me a rough idea of the cost of utilities in Ankara, such as water, electricity, gas, etc. per month?

Also, are there many people in the stores, etc. who speak English in Ankara? And by the way, you write English very well. It is a hard language to learn.

Bye for now,

Sarah

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Bon voyage Sarah, Happy landing on Ankara Esenboğa Airport. Have a good time in Ankara. I am sure you will not be alone but if you feel yourself alone and with troubles dont hesitate to call me. 434 14 14 is my call number.
I and my family will be pleased to help you. I now what is to be a foreigner in a foreign country that have different culture then ours. In my younger days when I was 19 in 1960, I went to Vienne to study at the Uni. with black train 3 days and 3 nights for six years, then to Germany. It was 1970 I returned to Ankara for military duty after finishing my studies.
School of METU (Middle East Technical University) has a very good reputation here. You are lucky you will teach the children or grandchildren of middle and high class Turks with extra quality wisdom, culture and knowledge. Dont worry the children are not spoiled because of their family levels. The parents are extemely helpfull to the teachers. There is a turkish proverb we say to the teacher when our children begins to primary school. "Eti senin, kemiği benim" (The flesh of my child belongs to you my teacher. I can have the rest with bones) In other words "My teacher my child belongs to you. You can do what ever you want."
Turkish exercise.
Et: flesh
Eti: His/hers flesh
Sen: You
senin: yours
kemik: bone
Kemiği. His/hers bone
ben: I
benim: mine

tab water: we spent for 3 person at home per Month TL 30.71
My mother in law 1 person: TL 13.90
Electricity: for 3 TL 75.00
" for 1 : TL.30:00
internet : TL 49.00

Fans: We say vantilatör (turkified from french)
http://www.kangurum.com.tr/kangurum3-we ... goryId=378
On the same page you can find prices and images of various products. Through This page you can buy by internet.
Don't die before visiting Turkey