Best Baklava in Istanbul. Any suggestions?

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

sweettooth

Best Baklava in Istanbul. Any suggestions?

Post by sweettooth » Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:45 pm

Dear Tom,
A few years ago I visited Istanbul and after four days of bad or mediocre baklava, a shop owner send me together with his shop helper to a baklava heaven about a 15 minute walk away from the Big bazaar, probably towards Laleli. I had kept the address and the name, but lost it. I am visiting istanbul again in a month and would like to have a taste of this divine sweet again, but will never be able to find the place again. Perhaps you or someone else knows it, or has suggestions for good, fresh , buttery baklava, without tones of syrup. Yum.

Thanks

Sweettooth :)

Zeynep

Best Baklava in Istanbul

Post by Zeynep » Tue Jul 20, 2004 2:20 am

Hi Sweettooth,

I've been thinking about your request for a few days. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion about what is the best baklava in Istanbul, but I think that the Gulluoglu shops, found in several neighborhoods, are quite well-known. My grandmother used to say, "Buy baklava from a shop whose name ends with "oglu", because those are names from Gaziantep, which is famous for its baklava. So, if you see a baklava shop with "oglu" or "antep" in its name, it should be a good bet.

Most baklava in Turkey is made with sugar, not honey, so it tastes different from what we are used outside of Turkey (but I think it's great!). The most common fillings tend to be walnut (cevizli), pistachio (fistik, or Antep fistigi). The most unusual one I had was homemade baklava from the Black Sea region, with hazelnuts (findik). Might be hard to find, but it was delicious.

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Güllüoglu etc.

Post by turkeytom » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:29 pm

Zeynep Hanim is correct, as usual! :D

There's a big Güllüoglu shop across the street from the Yolcu Salonu (International Ship Passenger Terminal) in Karaköy.

The shop you remember in Laleli might be this mouthful: Hacibozanogullari Baklavacisi (hah-JUH-boh-ZAHN-oh-ool-lahr-ruh BAHK-lah-VAH-juh-suh). I don't have the exact address, but if you ask in a Laleli shop they'll probably be able to direct you.

Tom Brosnahan

yumurt

Post by yumurt » Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:52 am

i especially suggest seyidoğlu at bakırköy istanbul
it's in the ebu ziya street their baklava is delicious and i can also sugges "cevizli baklava" if you buy it from there

sinan

Post by sinan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:57 pm

GULLUOGLU is best and When I was in Turkey I heart that GULLUOGLU is going to open shop in New York and continue to open other shops in other cities in USA
Sinan

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:49 pm

yumurt wrote: i can also sugges "cevizli baklava"
That's baklava made with walnuts.

Tom Brosnahan

Rauf

Post by Rauf » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:13 pm

Can I just say that Laleli is not the best place to walk around alone.
It's more of a Russian neighborhood and a lot of scams and tricks habben there that Tom explains on his site.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Scam Pages

Post by turkeytom » Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:43 pm

Rauf

Re: Scam Pages

Post by Rauf » Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:07 am

Thank you, i would've gotten them myself but I was just going out to get a drink with friends.

CeliaL

Post by CeliaL » Sun Jun 19, 2005 7:07 am

wish I'd read these before I left - by Istanbul (at the end of our trip) I'd about given up on finding good baklava. I never had any anywhere in Turkey that was better than mine :( Oh well, lots of other things were great!