Any ideas on where to stay near Dalaman?

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

Any ideas on where to stay near Dalaman?

Post by Gizmo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:08 pm

I will be visiting Turkey again the first two weeks in June 09 & will be flying to Dalaman. I have yet to book accomodation as I have never been to this part of Turkey I would like to go to a resort with nice local restaurants serving local style food where Turkish people eat. Normally we holiday in the Antalya region but would like to try something different. There are so many resorts surrounding Dalaman it is difficult to choose. I am not keen on rowdy holiday resorts overrun with English holidaymakers.

Re: Any ideas on where to stay near Dalaman?

Post by jenjen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:21 am

Hi Gizmo

You might like to consider Dalyan. About 12km (I think) from the airport. It is on the tourist trail in that there are lots of visitors from all resorts to the mudbaths and river, but later in the day when they have all left it is quite a quiet and pretty place to be. There is a thread here regarding Dalyan's Iztuzu beach.

TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Post by carrie » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:21 pm

I would ditto on Dalyan..the first place that came to my mind..also there is Bozburun...and also perhaps Datça..
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos

my photo site;

How many stars? **: 0

Post by Jeanne » Tue May 12, 2009 9:33 am

Dalyan is lovely I absolutely agree, it is very close to Dalaman. You do not mention though how far your transfer could be as Dalyan for a week is especially sea, river, lake. If you want more you could consider a maximum 1 hour transfer to Fethiye area. There are many more options in that area, loads of activities with perhaps paragliding on the top, kayaking, horseriding etc.
You can either base yourself in Fethiye which is a growing working town, very Turkish with loads of good restaurants mainly catering for the locals. Or Kayaköy (that is where I live) a very unspoilt rural village situated in a valley of the Fethiye peninsula. It was originally a Greek village, what is left of the houses is nowadays an open air museum on the hill. From Kaya it is close to a small local beach called Gemiler. Or chooses Ölüdeniz what is more a commercial beach with the stunning lagoon.
Hope this helps, good luck!