Turkish Olives

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

How many stars? **: 0

Turkish Olives

Post by SwampeastMike » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:42 am

Does anyone know of an on-line source of Turkish olives (NOT LIQUID PACKED) with reasonable shipping rates in the U.S.?

The terribly overpriced "gourmet" things I can buy here in SE Missouri are garbage compared to those I enjoy in Turkey and remind me EXACTLY why I never cared for them until my first European trip many years ago and why I can make a nearly complete meal of them in Turkey. Green, gold or black makes little difference--as long as they are not overly saturated with brine.

Those wonderful olives (and picked ripe tomatoes that I can ONLY get here by growing myself) were major parts of how I managed to loose 10kg or so in seven weeks of Turkish holiday while enjoying large, delicious meals.

I have no hope for fine fresh lamb, but surely I can find good olives at a reasonable price to serve our Turkish friend who will visit over the winter.

Also, any idea for a TURKISH hazelnut spread? The Nutella I buy here is FAR sweeter than what I had in Turkey despite the same name on the label. One of my favorite things about Turkish cuisine is that "sweets" are LIGHTLY sweet.

Re: Turkish Olives

Post by margaretp » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:50 pm

I have a young olive tree in the garden of my Calis house, last year it fruited, ripening after I returned to the UK. My next door neighbour (ex-pat English) kindly havested the olives and processed them under the tutilage of Turkish friends, when we returned this spring she shared with me the fruits of her labours and I have to say they were the best olives I have ever tasted!!

The moral of this story is that your surroundings and personal experiences influence your taste buds!! The flavours are all enhanced by the ripening in the sun and the freshness of the produce, even the hazelnuts in the spread are probably local!!

Re: Turkish Olives

Post by davcamp » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:52 am

There is a grocery store near Chicago called Istanbul where you can call or email to order olives to be shipped to you.

Store Hours:
9 am - 9 pm Monday - Saturday
9 am - 8 pm Sunday

Store Address:
2324 S Elmhurst Rd
Mount Prospect, IL 60056
Tel: 847-290-9740
Fax: 847-290-8734