Worst 'food' I'd ever eaten - Tarihi Halic Iskembecisi

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

snarfles
How many stars? **: 0

Worst 'food' I'd ever eaten - Tarihi Halic Iskembecisi

Post by snarfles » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:10 am

I feel it is required of me to share an experience I had at a restaurant to hopefully warn anyone reading this forum away from the same bad experience. On my recent visit to Turkey and our first night in Istanbul we had the unfortunate situation of finding ourselves arriving late at night and being in a hotel in an area with not many restaurants. We went to the closet one just down the road from our hotel which was Hotel Daphnis.

The restaurant we went to was called Tarihi Halic Iskembecisi (http://www.haliciskembecisi.com/eng/). The atmosphere and tables and rooftop area of the hotel was quite pleasant but it was the food that did it for me. We couldn't read the menu very well but ordered a 'casserole' and a 'tandoori' dish... or so we thought... it came out and it was chopped up bits of meat, with approximately 1/4 of it just fatty tissue. The meat smelt like old meat and had no positive tastes at all. We ate approximate 1/10 of each dish and gave up... we went hungry that night despite paying for an expensive meal. After receiving our dishes we looked at the Turkish translation of the dishes which was 'kokoretch'... I have no idea what that means in English but it is now and most likely will be for all time my WORST FOOD EVER.

Stay away from this restaurant... you have been warned.

lifeonlake

Re: Worst 'food' I'd ever eaten - Tarihi Halic Iskembecisi

Post by lifeonlake » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:22 pm

I think it may be the problem of this hotel.Normally the hotels in Istanbul maintain a good food value.You can charge the manager of the hotel for the food.Then you will get the answer of the question.

snarfles
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Worst 'food' I'd ever eaten - Tarihi Halic Iskembecisi

Post by snarfles » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:17 am

HI lifeonlake

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify it wasn't the hotel we stayed at, they had awesome food, it was the closest restaurant to them which served dog food.
Cheers