Spicy Turkish food

What to eat and drink, what not to eat or drink, food preferences, allergies, and (why not?) recipes for Turkish cooking!

Moderator: sinan

CR34M3 CR4CK3R
How many stars? **: 0

Spicy Turkish food

Post by CR34M3 CR4CK3R » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:06 pm

Good day everyone,

I'm leaving for Turkey in exactly 1 month. While I'm there I'd love to try as many different kinds of food as my budget allows.

I am a huge fan of spicy food - does anyone have suggestions for places and dishes that I might try?
Also, are there Turkish words (on menus) that I can look out for that would suggest that a dish is spicy/hot?

I will be in the cities of Istanbul, Kars and Trabzon. [for any restaurant specific suggestions]

Thanks allot.
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

sally

Re: Spicy Turkish food

Post by sally » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Here is the website of an interesting article about food in Kars, unfortunately we were there with a vegetarian friend but we certainly saw huge flocks of geese in the countryside around Kars.

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/detay ... ink=203569

Adana kebap is spicy mince on a stick - can be quite hot!

ptemiz

Post by ptemiz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:39 pm

hope this isn't too late to be of use. The word for hot/spicy in Turkish is 'aci' which is pronounced 'ajuh' with the 'a' as in Ankara. The hot food in Turkey mainly comes from the south east. I was in Trabzon last month and ate wonderful food there - just walk around the main square called 'Meydan' and you will see lots of restaurants where you can look at what they have on offer and just point to what you'd like to try. if it isn't hot/spicy enough for you add some chilli flakes ('pul biber' in Turkish) which are always on the table in restaurants like these.

CR34M3 CR4CK3R
How many stars? **: 0

Post by CR34M3 CR4CK3R » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:24 pm

ptemiz - I'm leaving this Friday, so it is quite timely, thanks.
sally - thanks, I'll be sure to try the interesting Kars cuisine. :)
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes