Good restaurant in Goreme

Restaurants in Turkish cities other than Istanbul

Moderator: sinan

narcoossee

Good restaurant in Goreme

Post by narcoossee » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:24 am

We loved the Cafe Safak in Goreme. Ali and his family make everyone feel at home and the food was wonderful!

Jeanne
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Jeanne » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:51 am

Hi there,
Did you get a meal in A la Turka on the main square in Göreme? I absolutely loved the ambiance and the food there. And I can recommend to everybody travelling to Cappadocia!

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Post by steve » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:59 pm

I agree, it's an absolute top place. One of the best places to eat in Turkey I think. Wonderful during the day for a coffee too.

asiaeurope

Re: Good restaurant in Goreme

Post by asiaeurope » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:43 pm

My friends & I highly recommend Goreme Restaurant. They have great ambience... low couches, carpets, fireplace, paintings on the wall. Great food (try their beef & eggplant in sizzling plate). And really affordable prices. What more can you ask for?

thelily

Post by thelily » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Having been to Goreme at least 26 times (no joking) - my last visit was last week - and having earnt the name the Lily there, I would like to recommend my current favourite places to eat in Goreme (in no order of preference)

1) Mercan Restaurant (opposite the bus station): lovely terrace, fantastic home made cheese cake (but get there early as it sells out during the day), very reasonable prices. I've known Mustafa, the patron, since he was a little boy and he is truly one of my favourite people in the village. He speaks excellent English, is honest, funny and trustworthy. His German girlfriend Nicole, who works in the kitchens, is also lovely

2) Meeting Point Cafe (currently also a bar by night) is situated across the canal from Mercan and down a bit. Is run by Cenap ("Jennap") who I've known since 1994 and his friendly Malay South African wife Eliza who has added her authentic and very tasty Malay curry to their cafe menu. I can't stress how comfortable the atmosphere is there. Their outside seating area (propped up on stilts over the canal) has detachable covers for cold nights (being high altitude, Goreme can be bitter at night). There is often live, traditional Turkish music in the evenings and - if you're lucky, one of Cenap's fire parties

3) Safran Restaurant (on a terrace down the road from Meeting Point): run by a family I've known for over 15 years, Emine cooks superb, fresh local cuisine. Ilker speaks excellent English and German and is another great character (try and talk him into cooking for a laugh)

4) Nazar Borek (the cafe up from Meeting Point with another stilted, coverable outside seating area) is run by Refik and Cenap's good friend Mustafa (call him Top Deck): he's a really funny, friendly guy and cooks deliciuous borek (pastries). Their outside seating area contains a cross-your-legs and sit on cushions low table section

5) Orient Restaurant (just along the road to Nevsehir): Refayi, the proprietor was one of the first people I met in Goreme back in 1994 and if I fancy a bit of decadence, I always head there: you don't have to spend a fortune to be treated to delicious free starters of garlic toast with home made sun dried tomatoes and olives. Beautiful decor
the Lily

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:29 am

Hello,
Been to Allaturca twice and found it over-rated - nothing out of the ordinary at high prices with appalling service (we ended up getting up ourselves to find a bottle of water which didn't seem to upset any of the waiters who were hanging around watching the girls over the balcony railing). Maybe we just hit two (very) bad days.

But definitely agree on the Orient - excellent food and for once in Turkey discrete service where your plate isn't grabbed away from from you if you happen to put your fork down ! Nor do the waiters hover over you and make you feel as if you have to hurry up. The lunch menu is quite reasonably prices and extremely copious (go for a long walk to work up a good appetite !) and stands out from the usual Cappadocian fare. Elegant decor for a relaxing and gastronomical meal.

thelily

Post by thelily » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:18 pm

I'd also like to agree with narcoossee's positive comments re: Cafe Safak. They're the next cafe up from Nazar Borek. Really nice family who are severely handicapped during the winter months as Ali, the family's only English speaker, spends them in Oz with his Aussie wife. It's great that local women are now able to work in the village (it wasn't so long ago that local culture forbade from from even entering the centre!!!)

If you want to support this new, local women-in-business-friendly trend, the pide ("pee-deh" = Turkish pizza) salon opposite the main mosque on the road up to Star Cave and Rock Valley (etc) pansiyons is another great place to go

Also if you want to experience local culture, one of my favourite hang outs is North Star nargile (water pipe) centre and cafe just down from Mercan (across the canal from Meeting Point, etc). The patron Mehmet is a really nice, mellow guy whose English is steadily improving. Is run by his wife and daughters during the day as Mehmet tends to keep North Star open late with live Turkish music and impromptu parties. Is a great place to pop into for a game of tavla (backgammon), though I defy anyone to beat Mehmet (!), a water pipe or - if you're more of a night owl, a good, reasonably priced late night haunt
the Lily