Tales from the Expat Harem

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

papillon
How many stars? **: 0

Post by papillon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:27 pm

Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to reading this book! It's several tales from women who have lived, worked, and/or travelled Turkey. From what I've read from the reviews, it sounds like its supposed to be pretty entertaining particularly if you know Turkish culture or any Turks very well.

Wish I'd known it was out in Turkey (in Turkish and English) and it wouldn't be out in the US til March...I'd have made my boyfriend bring it when he came last week :shock:

Well, in the meantime, try http://www.expatharem.com for more information. (PS: Tom also has a small review to the book on their website!!)

Enjoy

starman

Post by starman » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:36 pm

yes a great book and I Jenniffer is a dear friend of mine who did the book along with Anastasia. Was at number 2 in the local best selling list.
They are thinking of doing one about men next.

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:51 pm

Thanks, Starman. :oops:

We hit #1 last week as well, but the real excitement was before bayram. Foreign Minister Abdullah Gul called personally to say he read the book and loved it! He even said he thought it will be important for Turkey. We were blown away...

papillon

Post by papillon » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:19 am

pollyanna,

if you are one of the contributors in this book, my sincerest congratulations. from what i hear the book is awesome i can't wait for it to hit the states ;)

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:38 pm

I'm one of the editors, yes. (Jennifer)

You don't have long to wait now. They should be in print this week and start shipping to US and Canadian bookstores the first week of February or so!

thank you for your kind words and support!

:D

luddendenturk

Post by luddendenturk » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:54 pm

What a wonderul, warm, and entertaining set of stories. I read it front to back over two days as it was so engrossing.

Don't let the title put any men out there off reading it.

It's truly a delight and one of the best collections of short stories that I have read.

papillon

Post by papillon » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:47 am

planning to by mine either tonight or tomorrow evening...

FINALLY....and I walk to the barnes and noble from my house and I still haven't made it down there! looking forward to the read :)

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:24 pm

Dear Andrew,

Thank you very much for your kind words. We're glad you enjoyed it.

Though we won't be in UK for awhile, Anastasia and I will be touring USA in April & March. We'd love to meet TTT forum members at our events: http://www.expatharem.com/events.htm

Papillon, let us know when you find the book!

Warmest regards,
Jennifer (aka Pollyanna)

MW

Post by MW » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:13 pm

What a great book! I read it the whole flight back to London.

I agree with Luddendenturk's comment: "Don't let the title put any men out there off reading it." It's especially interesting to men as it talks about things that we don't otherwise have direct experience with.

When's the UK tour/event?

papillon

Post by papillon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:25 am

Jennifer,

After getting sick this past week (ugh, i work in a school!) I completed tons of housework leaving me completely bored this weekend...I remembered that i still hadnt purchased the book and went off to buy it (our barnes and noble didn't stock it when they originally told me they would, so it came out a little late)

I started reading it last night and couldn't put it down! I forced myself to call it a night at 4am!

The book is wonderful and I can't wait to share my full feelings when I complete it! :) It brings me into hysterics and as a girlfriend of a turk--even tears :)

I see that you will be in my area (washington DC) soon! Hopefully I'll make it to the ATA-DC event! Talk to you soon and happy travels! :)

**PS: Perfect vision of your military site breach!! Brought me back to a few of my own efforts of convincing the ever-so-hospitable Turks to let me do something :) Realllllllly a great read!! :)