Tales from the Expat Harem

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

Pollyanna
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Pollyanna » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:19 pm

Thank you, MW!
Thank you, Madame Butterfly! :wink:

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

We don't have any UK events (YET), but we certainly will once the UK edition comes out. Once we have a UK publisher, that is! Maureen Freely (translator of Orhan Pamuk's books and author/journalist/professor) reviewed us in the latest issue of Cornucopia http://www.cornucopia.net/aboutxph.html which might speed things up. I'm eager to go visit UK again!

In any event, we will be in USA before long and look forward to meeting you and everyone else along our tour trail! See you soon!

Best,
Jennifer

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:23 pm

papillon wrote:**PS: Perfect vision of your military site breach!! Brought me back to a few of my own efforts of convincing the ever-so-hospitable Turks to let me do something :)

do tell!!! :)

Raneim

Post by Raneim » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:43 am

I'm glad to find one of the editors of the book here!
Hi Pollyanna. I'm just in the middle of the story of Erica Kaya.
The style of the articles is easy-reading, clear and so kind!

While reading the book, (as a Turkish women) I'm trying to find out if my reactions to the foreign women are same or not. Since I have lots of foreign friends, I have relatives in Ireland, I'm working in an international company that there are offices and factories in 5 continents etc, I know the way of living in Europe and America.

So;

1) I do not kiss people when I met! :)
But I have friends who do so!
Last year, we were in Chicago for a bussiness meeting. In the last day, before going to airport, my colleague (who was a male!) had kissed a male attendee who was an American from California to say goodbye!! :D
I laughed until reaching the airport. I will never forget the face of the American! And my colleague from İzmir, had learned not to kiss a foreigner to say good-bye!

2)But I do get surprised and praise when I see a foreigner who speaks Turkish (whether good or not). I like to hear my language from a foreigner.

3) Yes, I like chatting with a foreigner especially about the difference of our cultures to learn interesting things. I like to learn about difference cultures. :)

4) I never ask the salary of anybody! :)
And I don't like to be asked also. But I think there is a problem like this..

The book makes you look from the side of the foreign women. This is the good part of the book.
For example, man bra sellers in a bazaar was always funny for me but I never thought the conflict anyway. :)

So, thank you for the book. I'm reading the book on the way to work and home, in a minibus while bouncing, in motorboat while waving and this book makes me forget about the traffic! :)
Peace at home, Peace in the World.
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:47 pm

So, Raneim, you're not a kisser? Too bad! Missing out on all those smooches. :P

Thank you for your comments. It's very interesting to hear what Turkish people think of it and what YOUR response would be in any given situation. (Like what would you do in Dana's situation! :oops: )

Raneim

Post by Raneim » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:00 pm

Pollyanna wrote:So, Raneim, you're not a kisser? Too bad! Missing out on all those smooches. :P

Thank you for your comments. It's very interesting to hear what Turkish people think of it and what YOUR response would be in any given situation. (Like what would you do in Dana's situation! :oops: )
:D "Kadın küfü" was a very funny story!
But I really appreciate the effort of the pharmacist woman!
Nobody in the pharmacy, would let Dana go without understanding and solving her problem! :)

As being a mediterranean community, Turkish people has high-reactions.
I mean, we laugh a lot or we get angry a lot. We love or hate a lot. We talk or remain silent a lot. Every activity we do, every emotion of us, is "a lot".
So while being very hospitable in our homes to any foreigners, we can be very agressive in traffic at the same time.
So life in Turkey (especially in İstanbul) is very energytic. :)
Peace at home, Peace in the World.
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:50 pm

I agree with that!

I just had a business meeting today and got kissed by people I just met. Brigthened my day :D

papillon

Post by papillon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:04 am

Regarding your "do tell" comment...

the first thing that comes to mind is me convincing some poor turkish soldier in Turgetreis to let me go stand on his military boat docked at the pier and have my picture taken with him and his machine gun while I, the foreigner, hung out on the Turkish military boat :shock:

in Bodrum i convinced some neighborhood 'security' guys to let me climb Mt. Aspat because i had come "all the way from America" it ended up being pretty cool--and actually now I think it is permitted to climb anyway...but at the time, not knowing turkish i felt like i was brave :?

ANNEK

Post by ANNEK » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:32 pm

I went out last week and bought the one and only book that Barnes and Noble had here in my area..

I have not been able to put it down, I can relate with some of the stories being told by the woman, I can see some of the things happening, and the way each story is written, I feel like I was a guest at the wedding, or I was in the trench working with the village men along with the narrators..

I have even read a few paragraphs here and there to my Turkish husband and he could also relate to what I was reading.. He may even decide to read it when I am finished:)

Good work! Love the Book.. Have already recommended it to many of my female Turkish friends!

Cheers,
AnneK

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:48 am

Thanks, Anne!

I wouldn't be surprised if he did read it! We've caught many unsuspecting men!
:wink:

Pollyanna

Post by Pollyanna » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:50 am

Thank you all for your wonderful comments!

It would help us so much if you might post your comments about the book on Amazon or B&N! We're just launching our US book Tour this month and we need as much publicity as we can get!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revie ... tore=books

many thanks for your kind help,
jennifer