Rough Guide 6th edition Jan 07 – very poor

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

steve
How many stars? **: 0

Rough Guide 6th edition Jan 07 – very poor

Post by steve » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:42 pm

Not a pleasant post this, but I reckon we should praise the good and also point out the not-so-good if necessary.

I have just got my hands on the latest and long-overdue Rough Guide to Turkey and I have to say that it isn’t very good. I don’t take any pleasure in rubbishing someone else’s hard work, but I am so surprised that I just felt compelled to post.

To begin with I don’t like the layout of Rough Guides. For me the Lonely Planet guides have always been easier to read, clearly laid out and generally better written. In the RG even simple things like indicative costs of hotels or restaurants aren’t consistently shown which about as appropriate as a French kiss at a family reunion. That aside, the latest Rough Guide is just lazy. I’ve literally just got it and have only been reading it for about 30 minutes and I have already found enough mistakes and oversights to make me wonder if it’s worth the weight in my suitcase for the next visit. No, really!

Just a few lowlights:

No mention of the Dersaadet Hotel in Istanbul despite the fact that it has consistently ranked number one or two on Trip Advisor for the past two years.

Email address for Halley Pansyion in Egirdir was incorrect and didn’t work when I tired it in early 2005 – guess what it’s still the wrong email address so why print it?

Categorically states that it is not possible to enter South Cyprus from the TRNC. This has been possible since May 2004 and quite publicly so. Such a huge error, shows no research at all for this item.

Now I’m not going to list every error, ‘cos that isn’t fair. But the above are so glaring and lazy that I have little confidence in the rest of the publication. I wouldn’t recommend it and if you can I’d wait for the LP update due in April 2007.

durs

Post by durs » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:42 am

Such a shame to hear this, as I have just received ( the anxiously awaited) new rough guide.
I had checked a number of titles, and their publication dates, and decided to wait for the rough guide. I will be travelling in March.
In the past, I have enjoyed and benefitted from the guides info. for India, Spain and Thailand. Always way more info. than I needed for 2 - 3 wk. holidays, but reliable for my needs.
I hope you let them know.

suiko6

Post by suiko6 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:47 pm

I'm surprised, but then I invariably prefer RG to LP for every single country I've been to so far. Far better cultural info and much more fun to read. the greater subjectivity allows one to get a better feel for the place. LP is anodyne by comparison, and just, well, a dull read.

And then there's the fact that far more tourists use the LP, which, as we all know, tends to mean poorer service and the formation of backpacker ghettoes. In many countries I actively avoid LP recommendations for food, in the knowledge that the the restaurants will have a steady supply of custom and so don't need to make the effort anymore.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:34 pm

I actually used the RG for travel through Istanbul, Cappadocia and then ankara. Poor, poor, poor. Such a shame and I feel bad for continuing to have a go at something someone has worked on, but the info is very poor. Ilhara Valley you'd have to wonder if they'd ever actually been there, Istanbul and Ankara many of best hotels are overlooked. How can you not even mention the top-rated Tripadvisor hotels? That'd be the first place I'd look! Also states that taxi fare from Ankara to airport is 35YTL. Just utter crap. Fare is closer to to 75YTL although you can negotiate an off-meter trip for 50YTL and it has been this price for agea and ages. Such a crucial piece of info - cost of cab from airport to capital city and so wrong.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:34 pm

Hi all,

That is why the internet is a powerful tool. Many things you can find on line that no book will have !!! A much better source of information. BTW has the new edition of the Lonely Planet come out yet??? I am curious because most guide books for acommodations say always the same places and never anything new or interesting. It is almost like they copy each others reports and add them into the books.

suiko6

Post by suiko6 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:31 pm

I once met a backpacker guide updater whose remit was presumably to travel around Morocco. He spent almost his entire stay holed up in a backpacker hotel with copious supplies of hashish - admittedly excellent quality - he could have given good advice on that, at least - picking the brains of everyone who passed through from the places he was supposed to visit.

Nice work if you can get it :)