2007 Lonely Planet Turkey Shipping Now!

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

mardee1000
How many stars? **: 0

2007 Lonely Planet Turkey Shipping Now!

Post by mardee1000 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:26 am

Just wanted to let you all know that the 2007 LP is being shipped - I had pre-ordered it from Amazon and it's on its way. Just in time for my upcoming trip! :D

bartleby717

Underwhelmed by LP 2007

Post by bartleby717 » Thu May 03, 2007 10:15 pm

I've always been an LP fan, and put off buying a Turkey guide until the new edition came out, but I was disappointed. The history and Istanbul sections are really lacking...seems like less info than in the previous edition -- fewer hotel listings, e.g. (although it does include prices w/each listing -- my big peeve about rough guide, along w/its chintzy overview map).

Maybe LP skimped on the Istanbul section to motivate people to buy their city guide (which I did -- love those walking tours!). But for general guidebook, I went for the Rough Guide. (Hope it isn't as rife w/errors as one TTP poster said.....in any case, at least it has more than a paragraph on "the Kurdish question.")

steve

Post by steve » Fri May 04, 2007 1:29 am

I am currently working my way through the April 2007 LP. It appears far more accurate than RG and the authors seem to have actually been there - the gullet and balloon guides are way ahead of anything the RG does. I agree that some detail has been lost though. The 2005 edition had excellent tips about Mudanya - a real find and now not even mentioned. I found the Istanbul info to be reduced too. Author's Choice boxouts are now few and far between - there were too many in the last edition, but perhaps now too few. Overall though it is far more current, easy-to-use and readable than the RG. Well, I reckon so anyway!

Alondra

Post by Alondra » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:33 pm

I got the guide about a month ago, I would not recommend anybody to buy it. There is not much useful information. Better try onother guide.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:58 pm

So what other guide books are there, apart from the lonely rough planet guide?

steve

Post by steve » Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:25 pm

It's obviously different strokes for different folks. Whilst not perfect, the LP, in my opinion, is far more comprehensive and up-to-date than the Rough Guide. There are a few others, but they're a bit wooly or out-of-date. Open Road's Turkley Guide is a great read, but now many many years out-of-date with no sign of any further revisions.

Alondra, it would be handy if you could expand on your statement and let us know which bits you think are weak.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:14 am

I've found Footprint guides to be pretty good but their Turkey appears to be 7 years out of date!

Alondra

Post by Alondra » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:39 am

I think there are few "technical" and useful details for travelers in the LP. It seems to me that it has more "historical" info that is also important but if I would like to read about turkish history or culture I won't get a travel guide but another kind of book.
I haven't check the other guides on turkey, it could be that Lp is the best option but still is not really good in my opinion.

About footprint guides I have one for chile and its well organized and nice reading but completely out of date (many places they mentioned did not exist!). Anyway I did like the guide set up.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Re: 2007 Lonely Planet Turkey Shipping Now!

Post by turkeytom » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:24 pm

I still find the Lonely Planet Turkey guide to be quite useful, though I have not been involved with its research or writing for several years now. I can see how much work went into it.

If there are deficiencies, they probably stem from these causes:

—Length and comprehensiveness of a guidebook are determined as much by production requirements (size, weight, cost of paper, binding and shipping, etc.) as by the needs of the destination or desires of the readership.

—Although the major guidebook publishing companies, distributors and bookstores make lots of money, an astonishingly small amount of it ends up in authors' pockets, so they may have neither the resources nor incentive to "go the extra mile." Cutting corners is how an author survives. (Getting out of guidebook writing is how an author prospers. :wink: )

—Authors now have very little freedom in how they do their work. Most details are determined by editors far from the destination. This enhances the congruity of a guidebook series, but can cripple an author from writing what travelers at a particular destination want most to know.

Tom Brosnahan