Frommer's Turkey

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

travelbug

Frommer's Turkey

Post by travelbug » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:13 am

We returned recently from Turkey and were extremely disappointed in Frommer's Turkey guide. It missed great sights - like Side in the Antalya area and suggested sights far inferior. The restaurant and hotel suggestions were also poor. We use Frommer guides all the time and it seemed like he missed the boat on this one.

carrie
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Frommer's Turkey

Post by carrie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:16 am

That is too bad...but that is why in my own personal opinion guide books can be very unhelpful..usually out of date...the internet is a far better source of up to date information....too bad you did not ask me about the areas around Antalya..I certainly could have helped you..
I had this discussion with Tom last year in May..regarding the usefulness of the guide books...at one time they were good..( back in the days ) when travel writers were far better than they might be today...in my opinion....each guide book is a copy from each other and I think that real investigation to each area is greatly over looked...
Carrie Akkelle
Canada Hotel
Cirali / Olympos
Turkey

http://www.canadahotel.net/en/index.htm

my photo site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:58 pm

I use a good map that shows all the sights. It's great now that most pensions have a computer available - you can do your research on the road. I'm not a fan of lugging my own laptop around, though. I found it quite a revelation the number of travellers with laptops nowadays - and mobile phone/mp3 device, of course.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:27 pm

It's not so much that travel writers aren't as good as they used to be, but rather that guidebook publishing has changed dramatically.

For the 35+ years that I wrote guidebooks for Lonely Planet, Frommer's and Berlitz, we authors were well paid—in the case of Lonely Planet, quite well paid. But today most publishers (including LP) pay only a pittance, yet demand ever more detailed work from writers. The fee for writing or revising a book is usually supposed to cover expenses as well, but in some cases is insufficient to do even that. Some guidebook writers end up losing money on a project, and thus subsidizing the publisher!

Also, publishers often use writers who may not have long experience in a destination, or know the local language. It is more efficient to assign writers according to the publishing schedule rather than according to expertise. (This is not the case for Frommer's Turkey. Lynn Levine knows Turkey well.) This helps the publisher's bottom line, but it does not help the quality of the book.

Tom Brosnahan

kworld

Post by kworld » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:34 am

I'm surprised to hear that Frommer's Turkey guidebook isn't so good... for the most part I've had good experience using their books. But this also depends on the traveller and what they are used and what they are looking for. Lately I've also been relying a little less on guidebooks and I've been researching my holiday destinations online. You can find really good city guides online, and they are usually pretty up to date. You can also see other people's reviews of hotels, restaurants and other things, and this usually helps too.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Actually, I don't know whether there is anymore or not. I went on the Frommer's website and it has pages about Turkey, but I saw no way to buy a paper guidebook:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/turkey/

Tom Brosnahan

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:59 pm

It's in their "Store", Tom - Frommer's Turkey, 6th Edition (July 2010), not yet published.
Their 5th Edition (September 2008) is available.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Never one to doubt my ability to miss something right before my eyes, I still find it to be bad web design.

If you put "Frommer's Turkey" into a Google search, you end up on the Frommer's website's Turkey page, with links to other web pages bearing info on Turkey. But you have to drop down the "Store" menu to get to the Turkey guidebook page.

If I were in the business of selling books—wait a minute...I am! (in a small way)—I would put prominent links to the book sales page on the page most likely to appear to those arriving by Google search. On TTP I have a link to my book on every page; and photos of the book cover, linked to the sales page, on many pages as well.

But then, I'm not a bit New York publisher.... :?

It's good to know Lynn Levine is bringing out a new edition. I know she works hard on it.

Tom Brosnahan

inanna

Post by inanna » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:33 am

[quote="David Morgan"]I use a good map that shows all the sights.

Hi David, would you mind telling me which map is that? I travel in Turkey with" Koy Koy Turkiye" which is very detailed and does show many sites It is the only map I could find that is 1/400000 and I like the book format. I think my copy was printed in 2006 - so it is not very old and most of the time it is great. But I did find a few egregious mistakes and I also use a couple of other, less detailed maps.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:43 pm

That's probably better than the one I use, which is the GeoCenter 1:750000 one.

For me, I think having too good a map would detract from my style of adventuring - I enjoying just guessing my way and when/if I get lost asking for directions from the locals.