Guide book to Cappadocia

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Guide book to Cappadocia

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:53 pm

With a view to a trip to Cappadocia next year, I went looking for a guide book about the region (and nothing but the region). I was unable to find anything in English but came across a book in German (a language that I am able to read): "Kappadokien - Ein Reiseführer durch das Land der Feenkamine und Felsenburgen" by Susanne Oberheu and Michael Wadenpohl (ISBN 978-3-8334-8086-7). I haven't put it to the test yet but it seems to be comprehensive; it is not the glossiest of books but it contains a lot of maps of short walks and plenty of information about the local populace, including a section on the population exchange of 1923-1924. The accommodation listings range from the top-end to the sort of value-for-money places that either slipped through the gaps in my Internet search (albeit that they do possess a website) or have yet to go online. The first edition of the book came out in 2007; a second edition and an English translation are planned.