Elif Shafak - "The Bastard of Istanbul"

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Elif Shafak - "The Bastard of Istanbul"

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:53 am

Late 20th century, Arizona. Rose, a young woman from Kentucky, marries Barsam, an Armenian American from San Francisco. A daughter, Armanoush, is born, but the marriage founders on cultural differences. Rose and Barsam get divorced. Rose takes her revenge on Barsam's extended and, as she sees it, meddling, Armenian family by marrying Mustafa, a Turk who has come to Tucson to study geology. Despite overprotection by both sides of her family, Armanoush grows up to be a level-headed, studious, young woman, and discovers that her grandmother, Shushan, survived the events of 1915 in the Ottoman Empire and later lived in a house in Istanbul. Armanoush decides she must go to Istanbul to find the house and research her Armenian family's history. Knowing that both sets of relatives would be horrified by her project, Armanoush doesn't let on that she is in Istanbul, with her stepfather's four sisters, until she has no alternative.

What does Armanoush find in Istanbul? Why in the twenty years he has been in the USA has Mustafa never visited his sisters? I'll say no more, in case I give the game away, but I shall definitely look for Elif Shafak's other novels.

Here is an extract from "The Bastard of Istanbul": http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0 ... tanbul.pdf