Barbara Nadel, River of the Dead

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

Bill_Miyorum
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Barbara Nadel, River of the Dead

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:02 pm

Convicted drug dealer Yusuf Kaya fakes a heart condition and fools the governor of Istanbul's Kartal Prison into allowing him out for a hospital visit. Kaya goes on the run after his guards are killed by associates posing as hospital nurses. It's another case for Istanbul-based police inspector Çetin İkmen, who has appeared in several other books by Barbara Nadel. Meanwhile, a body clothed in the uniform of a US soldier is found in the Euphrates at Birecik. İkmen's colleague Mehmet Süleyman is despatched to the South-East of Turkey, where things are done differently. How does Süleyman cope with the cultural fault-lines? It's good detective fiction, from a writer who speaks Turkish and clearly knows Turkey.

Kedi Yavrusu

Re: Barbara Nadel, River of the Dead

Post by Kedi Yavrusu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:16 pm

I am reading this book at the moment, it's great. I love all the Barbara Nadel books.

inanna

Post by inanna » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:07 am

After reading the warm recommendations here, I picked up Barbara Nadel's "River of the Dead" and enjoyed reading it. Until I got to page 70 and the bodies of victims "from the conflict with the Americans", including that of an American uniformed soldier, started floating in the Euphrates "another present from bloody Iraq". Now wait a minute! As everybody knows, the Euphrates flows from Turkey through Syria to Iraq. For a body (or anything else) to float from Iraq to Birecik in Turkey, it would have to float more than 500 Kilometers upstream and through a number of damns. Not very likely.

If Ms. Nadel can write such nonsensical misunderstanding of basic geography, why should anybody trust her other observations about religions, myths and people? And where was the editor of her publisher?

Bill_Miyorum
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Bill_Miyorum » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Yes, I wondered about the body and the flow of the Euphrates at first, but all is eventually explained in a way that makes sense. Can't say any more or I'll ruin the story line.