Turkey: Bright Sun, Strong Tea

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

Bake
How many stars? **: 0

Turkey: Bright Sun, Strong Tea

Post by Bake » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:56 pm

P.S. Btw, couldn't find "Bright Sun, Hot Tea" in D&R and other bookstores in Istanbul so far. :(

turkeytom
Site Admin

Re: Turkey: Bright Sun, Strong Tea

Post by turkeytom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:15 pm

Warning! Shameless plug below!

Here's my list of Istanbul bookshops:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/I ... index.html

Homer Kitabevi is the Turkish publisher of my book, and thus should have it in stock (if it's not out of print).

Outside of Turkey, the book can be ordered through http://www.brightsunstrongtea.com/ for shipment anywhere in the world, autographed by me and inscribed as you like. :D

Tom Brosnahan

davecamp

Post by davecamp » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:22 pm

Great book! Love the story of how Tom arrived with his bags at Hayadarpasha Terminal on his way to Euro-side and was solicited by the baggage handlers for transport, and then after arriving on the other side encountering the same thing, and, afterward the taxis approached him to bring him uphill until a another guy offered a friend with a large care at a better rate!!!
davcamp
davecamp

Bake

Post by Bake » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:53 pm

It's on the way to me.... )))

Bake

Post by Bake » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 am

It's arrived today!!! :)

Tom, thanks! I ordered 2 books, 1 into my gift box - believe it should really small, but special gift to some people I know.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:17 pm

Bake,

Hope you enjoy the book. I've noted that it took 12 days to ship the books to you via International Priority Mail. I would have thought they would get to you quicker.

Tom Brosnahan

Bake

Post by Bake » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Tom,

I believe timing is just fine. I received the envelope wrapped into PTT (Turkish Post) pack - maybe this mail manipulation took some time on the way.

P.S. Apparently it became right choice to buy 2 copies :) - we (me & my wife) can read it together :). So far, really loved very easy-to-read flow (provided that English is not our native).

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:53 pm

Bake,
So far, really loved very easy-to-read flow (provided that English is not our native).
That comes from 35 years of writing guidebooks that would be read both by people whose native language was English, and those for whom it was a second (or third) language. I learned that the accessibility of the language was more important than flashy literary gymnastics.

At one point, an editor at Lonely Planet, impressed by Rough Guides' over-vigorous "Timespeak" prose ("Here a bridge vaults across the growling torrent...") urged me to write in that style as well. I refused, because I knew that accessibility was more important than showing off. ("Here a wooden footbridge crosses the stream...")

I always imagined my guidebook reader in an unfamiliar city at night, tired from a long day's travel, standing beneath a dim streetlight in a drizzling rain searching his/her guidebook for a clean, inexpensive place to stay. I knew they wanted the information quickly and easily. They wanted simple language. They didn't want frills. My job was to give them what they needed.

Tom Brosnahan

Bake

Post by Bake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:26 am

A bit follow-up, I forgot to reply back that I read the book. It went so easy, so interesting, just amazing.

Frankly speaking, I'm not a book-reader (I think it was noted earlier), but this one was surprisingly (for myself) winning my mind and heart :).

We're moving back soon to our home-country; and the 1st thing I'll do - is recommend your book. Yes, it's not a guide, it's not a history of Turkey, but what makes this book valuable - it's a book, a story, a part of history, which one can hardly can feel through unless sits next to a person, who experienced Turkey in the way you did. It's indeed like sitting next to an author, who saw, internalized, rethought and shared his decades of experience knowing Turkey. And, all these, in a simple, "consumer" language.

Great! And great thanks!
I didn't regret on buying it, waiting for it to be shipped, and reading it!

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:08 am

Dear Bake,

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. I'm glad you found the book enjoyable.

A memoir can turn into an exercise in navel-gazing if one isn't careful, so my goal from the start for "Turkey: Bright Sun, Strong Tea" was (a) to introduce travelers to Turkey and the Turks in a different way, in the context of a personal story, not through normal guidebook-style facts and dates; (b) tell what it's like to be a travel writer and guidebook author (there are lots of misconceptions); (c) let my daughter know who her dad is (or was).

The last goal, at least, was realized. As part of an American Literature course in high school, she was required to read a non-fiction book by an American author of her choice.

"Can I read my dad?" she asked.

"Sure," said the teacher. :shock:

Tom Brosnahan