Ancient Turkey

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

Ancient Turkey

Post by inanna » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:37 am

I would like to strongly recommend the book "Ancienct Turkey" by Antonyo Sagona and Paul Zimansky. It is an overview of the archeology of Turkey from the Paleolithic to the Persian conquest and to the best of my knowledge there isn't any other book like it. It covers a vast area and time in a very clear way and in a beautiful presentation. I am sure I would have seen and understood much more in my travels in Turkey had I read this book before my travel (it is very new, published 2009). I am sure it will enhance my future travel and understanding and I am happy to share these good news with all my fellow Turkey travelers. :)

Re: Ancient Turkey

Post by JDelacruz » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:09 am

Hello, thank you for your recommendation. The book is really worth to read. I'm also interested in medieval Turkey, do you know anything what is definitely interesting to read? Thank you.

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Ancient Turkey

Post by David Morgan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:58 am

"Ancient Turkey" was the only book I took with me on my recent holiday in Turkey. Having already visited quite a lot of the sites mentioned, I found it very interesting. A little too rushed at times (e.g. the section on obsidian sites seemed too much like a list) but, considering how much history it covers, I found it extremely good (although quite a few typos - needs re-editing).