Bright Sun, Strong Tea

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

sally

Bright Sun, Strong Tea

Post by sally » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:08 pm

I would like to buy this book but cannot find it at any of the links you list except Amazon.com at a prohibitively expensive price. Any suggestions please?

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Bright Sun, Strong Tea

Post by turkeytom » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:19 pm

Sally,

The book will be available again next week (ie, first week in December 2010) from this page:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/bsst ... nline.html

I'm traveling at the moment and temporarily unable to fill orders, but I'll be back in my office next week.

If you order from that page, you'll receive an autographed copy of the book, and I'll inscribe it for you if you wish.

The book will also again be available from Amazon.com next week.

For the record, I fill all the orders—including those made on Amazon.com—but I autograph and inscribe books ordered through the link given above.

Tom Brosnahan

sally

Post by sally » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:47 pm

This book was my Christmas present from my husband of 44 years. It is a great read and has inspired us to book flights to Turkey for four weeks in May 2011. After reading it I enjoyed the photos on this site that relate to the tales told. Many thanks.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:29 am

Thanks, Sally, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Your purchase helps to support all the travel information given away for free on TurkeyTravelPlanner.com.

"Turkey: Bright Sun, Strong Tea" is now available as an e-book through Google Books:

http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0976753103

I have an Apple iPod Touch. I downloaded the book from Google Books and the free Google Books app from iTunes, and was pleased by the e-presentation—it's actually a pleasure to read books on an iPhone/iPod Touch—, except that some of the Turkish and other non-English diacritical marks [accents] got screwed up. I'm sorry about that. I'm working on a fix.

Tom Brosnahan

heraclitus

Post by heraclitus » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:42 am

Let me second Sally's recommendation of Bright Sun, Strong Tea. Very enjoyable with great insights into both cultural matters and the travel guidebook business. I was especially delighted to learn more about Sitki Oruç, the proprietor of Yener's and to see his photograph in the picture section of this web site. What a charming, welcoming man he was! I remember well our lively conversations back in 1975 and scribbling in and perusing the notes of other travelers in the big notebooks he used to keep in his shop. Talk about shades of hippie nostalgia! (Incidentally, there is also a section about Sitki and Yener's in Rory MacLean's book "Magic Bus" -- about the overland trip to India that seemingly everybody at Yener's and the Pudding Shop were undertaking at that time.)

I also found fascinating Tom's account of mapping the Grand Bazaar (and all the uncredited use that was made of that work by other travel guidebooks over the years.) Plus there are lots of very funny moments throughout. (I love the bit about the extremely solicitous hotel staff at a Konya hotel where Tom was entertaining his female co-star in a tourist training documentary.)

Yentakvetch

Post by Yentakvetch » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:49 am

I am reading "Bright Sun, Strong Tea" in preparation for my trip and it is a fun read.

I also enjoyed "Istanbul:The Collected Traveler An Inspired Companion Guide" edited by Barrie Kerper.

I have also read a bunch of history books.

I WILL be prepared for my trip even if it is going to be Ramadan. I'll just be discreet about eating as advised.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Good planning. The amount of inconvenience when traveling in Ramazan depends on where you go. In Istanbul and other big cities, it's minimal, more than compensated by the Ramazan festivities after sundown. In small places, such as the Cappadocian towns of Kaymaklı and Derinkuyu with their Underground Cities, you should pack a picnic as local restaurants and most food shops may be closed during the day.

Have a great trip!

Tom Brosnahan

Patrk71

Post by Patrk71 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:15 am

Enjoyed the book very much. Was impressed when I received my copy as it was autographed by the Author. When part way through I realized I had used his website when I planned my trip in '09.
Thinking about a return trip in the near future and will use more the website and Tom's insight. Had to laugh and retell the "Jane" story. Very good.

Appreciate Tom Brosnahan doing the initial leg work for tourists like my self. Before I went I enrolled at the Raindrop Foundation at a university near by where I went to classes on learning to speak Turkish. While it was 'different' at first it was not hard to catch onto, except maybe the 4 or 5 syllable 'u' words.

Thank you for an excellent, entertaining book and delightful glimpse into Turkey.

Patrick

AT03

Post by AT03 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:22 pm

I just read your book and absolutely loved it. When you describe your first day of teaching when you say good morning and the students say 'SAWL!!' I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. I am also a teacher and worked briefly in Turkey, so I knew what you were talking about. That and so many other parts of your book are so funny. Truly entertaining read!

turkeytom
Site Admin

Post by turkeytom » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Thanks, AT. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was certainly fun to write.

Tom Brosnahan