Lonely Planet Turkey

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

turkeytom
Site Admin
How many stars? **: 0

Lonely Planet Turkey

Post by turkeytom » Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:27 am

I wrote the 1st edition of this guide in the early 1980s. It was published in 1985 (yes, it takes several years to get a first edition out).

I wrote the first four editions myself, then had the capable and pleasant Pat Yale as co-author on the 5th, and Pat and others on the 6th and 7th.

I didn't work on later editions, and though some of the writing may still be mine, the outlook is now that of others.

I still think it's probably the best overall guide to Turkey if you're planning to vagabond for awhile. It's concise and inclusive, with lots of good maps, pretty pictures and illustrations, good paper and strong binding.

If you're just going to Istanbul, LP has an Istanbul city guide (I wrote the first edition of this one too), but I'm of the opinion that there's lots more worthy competition among Istanbul city guides, and you should look at a number of them before deciding.

Tom Brosnahan

JrnymnJay

Post by JrnymnJay » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:50 am

I concur with your assessment that the Lonely Planet guide to Turkey is the best overall value for a travel guide. The format, readability and content are very good for a resource of this nature.

I think it's the best value compared to Rough Guide, Let's Go, Time Out, Insight, and 2-3 others I've surveyed in the bookstores. I've ordered a copy of LP Turkey (via your Amazon link :D ) for my upcoming 12-day trip to Istanbul New Year's Eve 2004.

I bought it for my one major resource for the whole country, since I'm planning to visit other cities besides Istanbul (biblically and Albanian relevant sites mostly).

It's nice to be able to sit in a bookstore and sift through a whole stack of these books and see what comes out as the winner. LP Turkey won for me as the best guidebook resource. But I've ordered DK Eyewitness Turkey for it's excellent layout and content for general reading.

I think your website does the best job of providing what the guidebooks can't---real guidance. And this comes from a certified web developer.

JrnymnJay

Post by JrnymnJay » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:39 am

To add to the Lonely Planet context--I wasn't as impressed with the LP Istanbul guide. For the investment, It looked like the LP Turkey-Istanbul section guide was as much, if not more complete and you get the benefit of having a resource about the whole country instead of just Istanbul.

As far as getting up-to-date information, I think a consultation with Tom along with LP Turkey would be a better value than LP Istanbul.
JrnymnJay wrote:I concur with your assessment that the Lonely Planet guide to Turkey is the best overall value for a travel guide. The format, readability and content are very good for a resource of this nature.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Real guidance...

Post by turkeytom » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:09 pm

Thanks for your kind words, and especially for saying that TurkeyTravelPlanner.com provides "real guidance."

It came to me a long time ago that it's guidance, not just information, that we all need when traveling. Too many companies forget this: database travel websites that provide lots of info, but no organic picture of what a trip may be like; publishers who believe their product is books, not guidance.

Tom Brosnahan

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Tue May 03, 2005 3:12 pm

hello turkeytom...just read your comment on guidance and how right you are. :roll: there's information all over the place.. but people need that extra little bit to let them know whats ok and what's not. this site is really great and your book truly the best on Turkey. for all things turkish but not a forum have a look at Turkcekent its very comprehensive and not commercial :)

steve

Post by steve » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:40 pm

Tom may have some inside info for this one. Does anyone know when the next edition of the LP Guide will be out. The 'latest' version was revised a year ago and I was wondeing if a new one was on the way. I took a four year old copy with me last time and it was really quite dated.

starman

Post by starman » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:42 pm

Is pat yale anything to do with the next edition? she is on some of the other forums asking about restaurants etc and other bits of info.

azure76

Post by azure76 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:31 am

Since I'm a linguistic klutz and don't trust my Turkish language skills, I booked a guided tour. I booked with Insight. I'll be with a group that are all English speakers and they'll guide us. You're right, Tom, what we need is guidance, not necessarily information.

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:27 pm

Tom may have some inside info for this one. Does anyone know when the next edition of the LP Guide will be out. The 'latest' version was revised a year ago and I was wondeing if a new one was on the way. I took a four year old copy with me last time and it was really quite dated.
Yes I have the same question as well. Any ideas out there?????Will there be a new copy for 2006??

steve

Post by steve » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:43 am

I think that it is very unlikely there will be a revision for '06 as the current version is less than a year old. To that end I have just 'upgraded' to the latest version from my copy of the 7th edition. The lastest (9th edition) has revised pricing as you'd expect and the design is a bit more polished. I find that the layout improves with each edition so more evolutionary rather then revolutionary if you see what I mean. There are still many hotels and restaurants that I personally think are a must-go, but have not been included but unless the book is 3000 pages long this’ll always be the case. The main thing I have noticed though is that some things, mainly restaurants, which featured in earlier editions of the LP and other guidebooks have been removed. This is good. There are quite a few places that rated highly in 2001 but that are now, or certainly were in 2005, pretty crap.