Lonely Planet Turkey

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

Tavsan
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Tavsan » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:54 pm

Also keep an eye out for the phrase book Tom worked on. It is an excellent book. Mine disappeared and I found it when I was visiting my Mother-In-Law last summer. I forgot that I gave it to her because she found it so easy to use as she was studying English.

Tavsan

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:42 pm

Ha, the Lonely Planet guided me to my husband, during my visit in 1999. The year 2000 was to bring the largest change in my life, new country, new work, new food, new everything...
Thanks Tom!

Lauraj

books

Post by Lauraj » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:51 pm

Hi friends,

I took several tourbooks and language books with me, as I wasn't sure which I would need. Eyewitness is always prettiest and gets me to buy it, but whenever I am at my destination, I find I just don't use it.

Frommer's was never used.

Lonely Planet was the one I used the most. I even (horrors) ripped out pages because I wasn't willing to carry it around but it had info we absolutely wanted with us that day (for instance to see the open-air museum in Goreme (by the way that is pronounced (Gore-e-may).

I bought the bigger Turkish language book (blue cover) and brought it with me (never used there) and put the CDs on my phone (never used). I didn't find it very easy to follow when I started with it at home.

The language book I ended up using some... after someone personally told me how to say some of the basics, was "Just Enough Turkish". After I understood how to say the words, I found their phonetical spelling helpful.

But mostly, I took notes in a little notebook that I wrote everything down in. Whenever someone taught me how to say something, I wrote it down phonetically...er, shall I say, with "laura-phonetics"! That helped me get started. By the end of the stay I could say quite a bit and the Turkish people were quite impressed... but I never got to the point that I could hold a conversation. Maybe next time.

I think the most important word to learn is "Thank You" (my phonetics: tay-shay-cue-leur) and "Hello" Merheba (mer-ha-ba) (easy). and "Nice to meet you" (mem-noon old-um). PLease is "lutfen", pronounced as it is spelled (loot-phen).

I bought the Conversational Turkish in 7 days, thinking I was getting the version with the CDS, as was recommended on this site. Unfortunately, it did not come with CDs, so it was left at home.

I also brought, and looked at only once, Eat Smart in Turkey. I think because we were hosted most of our trip and our meals were pre-ordered, this wasn't as important to us.

I had a bit of weight in books in my luggage!

HOpe this is useful to someone!

Lauraj

mardee1000

Post by mardee1000 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:47 am

I think that it is very unlikely there will be a revision for '06 as the current version is less than a year old.
There is a new edition of the LP Turkey Guidebook supposedly coming out in April of this year, according to Amazon. I hope it gets here before I leave - I'll be there the first 2 weeks of May.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:57 am

I didn't know that. A pretty quick revision for LP, last one was only out 2005 I think.

The Rough Guide has been revised (long overdue, last edition dated at 2003) and is published today!

mardee1000

Post by mardee1000 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:53 am

I know - I just ordered it! :D

Btw, can anyone recommend any good maps of Turkey?

steve

Post by steve » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:17 pm

I have used the Globetrotter Travel Map Turkey for my past few trips. it's a bit worn now, but has served well. The ISBN is 1-84330-660-3 and it's published by New Holland. It's a major road map of the entire country, with small street-level maps of the major cities on the reverse.

When I was in Amasya last year I saw a couple of German travellers with a similar looking but more detailed map. Not sure what it was, but there might be a better or newer product out.

mardee1000

Post by mardee1000 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:59 pm

I saw that one listed on Amazon and was wondering about it, so it's good to have a recommendation - thanks!

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:27 pm

I used the Freytag & Berndt Turkey Road Map: AK60 when I rode my bike to Nemrut. It's 1:800 000 in the west and 1:2 000 000 in the east. Some ancient sites are not very well pinpointed.
Ideally I'd like 1:500 000 for the whole country.
Tulumba do some good ones.

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:40 pm

In fact I've just now ordered their Aegean, Mediterranean, and Central Anatolia maps!:
Ege Bölge Karayollari Haritasi
Akdeniz Bölge Karayollari Haritasi
Iç Anadolu Bölgesi Karayollari Haritasi
Shipping costs are a little steep, but hey a dollar is only 50p nowadays.