Lonely Planet Turkey

Guidebooks, histories, biographies, novels...any good books having to do with Turkey and things Turkish.

Moderator: sinan

joanneli

The next Lonely Planet

Post by joanneli » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:16 pm

I found that the prices of the current Lonely Planet were very out of date on our trip recently. I hope the next one is coming out soon because it made our budget change a lot. Does anyone know of any recent copies of other guide books that have just come out? My friend is planning a trip for this year now after hearing about mine, but I don't think she can trust Lonely Planet.

mardee1000
How many stars? **: 0

Post by mardee1000 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:57 am

Rough Guide just came out with a new Turkey edition this month, which I just ordered on Amazon. LP is supposed to be coming out in April of this year - I'm hoping it's out soon enough for me to take with me. Those are the only 2 new ones I know of - Let's Go's newest edition is from 2003, as is the Eyewitness Guide.

steve

Post by steve » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:28 pm

The LP came out in 2005 so prices are now dated. It does give an indication of costs though and what sort of 'band' hotels etc. fall into - more than the latest RG does. You may have seen a comment I have already posted about the 2007 RG - the first revision since 2003 and very very dissapointing. I would wait for the new LP in April personally.

mardee1000

Post by mardee1000 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:38 pm

steve wrote:The LP came out in 2005 so prices are now dated. It does give an indication of costs though and what sort of 'band' hotels etc. fall into - more than the latest RG does. You may have seen a comment I have already posted about the 2007 RG - the first revision since 2003 and very very dissapointing. I would wait for the new LP in April personally.
Well, I would but there's a good chance it won't come out in time for my trip since I'm leaving May 3rd. That's why I order RG - it was only $18 and I want to have at least something to take with me. Since I probably won't need it again for awhile, I'll just unbind it and keep it in sections. Hopefully I'll be able to get the LP though.

Jeanne

Post by Jeanne » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:28 pm

Hi all,
İ was visited in 2006 by a nice woman working on a new edition of LP. She said it was due March/April 2007 which would be soon!
The always to be problem will remain the costs mentioned. The last Lp gives prices in Euro, but the exchange rate changed so much since 2005. The new edition is bringing YTL prices, if the turkish lira does not loose its value (which it did just a little bit last year) the information is correct otherwise you will find it soon out of date again. You should take that into account.
İ think the LP is great for travelling in Turkey even İ live here İ use it very often.

suiko6

Post by suiko6 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:18 pm

I'm surprised peopel seem to like the LP more than Rough Guide, as I nearly always prefer the RG for travel. I don't know either Turkey guide yet. Maybe someone can say way they prefer LP?

steve

Post by steve » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:36 pm

I prefer the layout of the LP and also the amount of detail and how easy it is to drill out the key facts - like the cost of a hotel or the best way to catch a ferry. The LP Turkey is far more established than the RG and is built on a far more solid foundation. The RG is not updated very frequently and the latest edition published Jan '07 is appallingly inaccurate.

mardee1000

Post by mardee1000 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:40 am

I have to agree - I bought the latest RG and while the overall descriptions are good, the detail is less than adequate. The hotel descriptions are pretty basic and they don't give prices at all (although they do list websites when known) - in many cases, I'm still referring back to the old LP for information that I was hoping to find in RG.

I'm just hoping it comes out before I leave on May 3rd. Amazon says April and the LP website doesn't even have it listed as of today (although it was there as a "soon to be released" item a couple of weeks ago - strangely, it has disappeared).

bartleby717

Post by bartleby717 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:16 am

To Mardee and all the other folks (like me) who are waiting for the 2007 LP Turkey....just called LP, release date is April 18. Not sure if that's the date it ships, or arrives in stores, but you should be able to order it from LP site as of then (assuming it releases on time).

Does anyone have a recommendation for an up-to-date Istanbul guidebook? Would like something other than LP, since I'll have the country guide.....Eyewitness books are lovely, but so darn heavy!

mardee1000

Post by mardee1000 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:35 am

Woohoo! Thanks very much for the info - I'm very glad to hear that it will be out in time for my trip!

I'm not sure if I'll get a guidebook just for Istanbul but I have to admit that the January 2007 Eyewitness Guide looks really nice. It's only $15 on Amazon - I suppose for that price you could rip it up and carry it around in sections. :)