my name

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

my name

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:03 pm

i just found out my last name susalis is not greek but turkish i was wondering if anyone could tell me anyting as to the translation or the origin of the name

OFFICIAL TOUR GUIDE
TTP Expert
How many stars? **: 0

Re: my name

Post by OFFICIAL TOUR GUIDE » Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:51 pm

Is it Susalis or Susalış ? If it is "susalis" it doesn't have any meaning in Turkish. But if it is "susalış" it is a made up word which contains two imperative verbs. "Sus" meaning "Be quiet" or "Keep quiet" or more harshly "Shut up" and "alış" meaning "get used to" or "adjust/adapt yourself". In order to think that it is a Turkish originated word it should be "Susalış" and meaning "Keep quiet and get used to (or adjust/adapt yourself to) the circumstances.

To be on the funny side we can say your surname means "silent chameleon" (This time it sounds like an American Indian name such as "Sitting Bull" etc.) :D

With all good wishes.
Selahattin Tümer

[email protected]

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:18 pm

its americanized see i had a friend from work look it up he told me it originates from turkey so i assume it is the chameleon one

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:26 pm

see the whole time my family thought it was of greek origin but it is not this surname meaning seems to me that maybe they were greek but forced to give it up i really dont know if you can explain i would greatly appreciate it

turkeytom
Site Admin

My Guess

Post by turkeytom » Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:45 pm

There are quite a number of Greek and Armenian family names that originated as Turkish words. A Greek-American friend of mine in Boston had the name "Kaliontzis," and was often told by other Greek-Americans "Your name doesn't sound Greek."

In fact, it's not. It is an Ottoman-Greek pronunciation of kalyoncu, an Ottoman word for 'sailor,' with an 's' added to "Greekify" it. Her father (and grandfather, for all I know) owned boats in Istanbul.

My guess for 'Susalis" would be that it comes from Turkish susali, meaning one of these:

1. A person from a place named "Susa" or some similar-sounding name (such as Suza, Sosa, Soza, etc.) The place need not have a Turkish name, or even be in Turkey. The place could be in, say, Ottoman Greece or Yugoslavia (when it was ruled by the Ottomans). The original place-name would have been Turkified, then the "-li" suffix added to indicate something or someone from, or having to do with, that place.

2. A nickname (in this case, "Thirsty") that became a family name

3. A nickname (in this case it could also be "Someone suffering from tympanites, a distension of the abdomen caused by an abnormal accumulation of gas in the intestinal or peritoneal cavity, as in peritonitis"). (No, I'm not making this up!)

Tom Brosnahan

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:51 am

1. A person from a place named "Susa" or some similar-sounding name (such as Suza, Sosa, Soza, etc.) The place need not have a Turkish name, or even be in Turkey. The place could be in, say, Ottoman Greece or Yugoslavia (when it was ruled by the Ottomans). The original place-name would have been Turkified, then the "-li" suffix added to indicate something or someone from, or having to do with, that place.

Dear Tom, I know it's late to post comment on this topic, but I just wanted to express my adoration on your thesis. It sounds totally correct.
Like KARAMANLIS = FROM KARAMAN (KARAMANLI) You are really expert on Turkish.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

turkeytom
Site Admin

Thank you!

Post by turkeytom » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:07 pm

Thank you. Turkish is such a fascinating language, with an even more fascinating history.

It has been a great pleasure for me to have studied it for 40 years (even if I still make mistakes when I speak it! :shock: )

Tom Brosnahan

Rauf

Post by Rauf » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:58 pm

fyi: Susa it the third biggest city in Tunis.
I don't know if this has anything to do with the root of your name but just to let you know.

turkeytom
Site Admin

Tunisia and the Ottoman Empire

Post by turkeytom » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:32 am

Tunisia was for a time part of the Ottoman Empire, so it could well be that "Susali" came from that city.

Anybody remember Abdülvahit Misirli, the excellent kebapçi off of Istiklal Caddesi near the Aga Camii? "Abdül Wahid the Egyptian"--the name made the same way.

Tom Brosnahan