Bir derdim var

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

cawber
How many stars? **: 0

Bir derdim var

Post by cawber » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:25 am

My turkish friend translates this as "I have a problem". With regard to the turkish language tell me something I didn't know :lol: When I get stuck in suffixations I utter incoherently,"bir derdim var"only to be told that it can't be used in that context.Peki,peki,I'll accept that,yet my friend with limited skills in english is not able to explain why. Anyone :?:
Are we nearly there,are we nearly there?

Rauf

Post by Rauf » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:07 pm

I have a problem is a pretty accurate translation.
maybe something like "I'm bothered (by something)"

univercitizen

Post by univercitizen » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:53 am

Why not: "I am in a trouble" also can be used fot it.
SMYRNOTE

Murat

Bir derdim var

Post by Murat » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:00 pm

dert means sorrow in Turkish, if something can be considered as a "dert", it has to have a long term effect. Nevertheless, you can still use dert and everybody will understand what you mean.

The most accurate translation of problem is, in my opinion, "sorun", it does not matter if you see a fly in your tea, or if you are swamped with the thoughest problems in your life. You can always prefer: "bir sorunum var" ( I have a problem) or to make it easier to remember for you, you can even say "bir problemim var"

Murat