Help with translation, please?

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

Sophie

Help with translation, please?

Post by Sophie » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:18 pm

Tecrube hayatta yenilen kaziklarin bileskesidir - Oyun bitince Sahda Piyonda ayru kutuya konur

I would appreciate if anyone could translate this text into English for me!

Sophie

albin

Re: Help with translation, please?

Post by albin » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:36 pm

Sophie wrote: - Oyun bitince Sahda Piyonda ayru kutuya konur

I would appreciate if anyone could translate this text into English for me!

Sophie

When the game finishes (chess that is) , check and pawn are to be put in the same box. by the way, it's not "ayru" it's ayni, which means "same" :)

Sophie

Post by Sophie » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:08 pm

Thank you... :D

suppiluliuma
How many stars? **: 0

Post by suppiluliuma » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:56 am

Hi Sophie, anybody translated the first sentence?
Tecrube hayatta yenilen kaziklarin bileskesidir
If not pls. read : "The experience is the combination of the shafts you have gotton in your life"
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:33 pm

i think as a sozluk the english equivelent would be..we learn from lifes experiences....not a shaft in sight...which could be misconstrued :lol:

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:06 pm

It meant "to get deceived" isn't it true?
i think as a sozluk the english equivelent would be..we learn from lifes experiences....not a shaft in sight...which could be misconstrued
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:35 pm

not really...its kaba..and since the rest of the saying was presumably on a box for chess pieces..it woud be inappropriate

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:15 pm

not really...its kaba..and since the rest of the saying was presumably on a box for chess pieces..it woud be inappropriate
Yes, samikenina, I know that it's "kaba" :oops: but the original sentence is "kaba" itself, and I thought Sophie must know it as it is.

Actually I think these two sentences are independent from each other, even though they were written together as a philosophical statement. :roll:

Anyhow, sorry for such a "kaba" translation, I didn't have a bad intention. :wink:
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:30 pm

hey..i know you didnt have a bad intention..maybe i should have chosen a better word than 'kaba' :? there is always something not quite the same when translating any language...and by the way your english is super as by your location i take it you are from Darica...and is that up by the Black Sea...also your quotation..is that from the Mevlana...come come whoever you are...a wonderful quote.

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:44 pm

Thank you samikenina, for all your compliments. :oops: My English is "school English" therefore I think it's a little "mechanic". I've studied American literature at Hacettepe University. I have a strong grammar infrastructure, but lacking of practice even though I'm always in contact with foreigners and using my English in business; I'm stuck with the same patterns.

Darica is supposedly a borrough(!) near Gebze/Kocaeli, with a population around 100.000, by the northern entrance of İzmit Gulf-Marmara Sea. But I'm originally from Canik region - Bafra/Samsun.

And yes, those are the part of Mevlana's famous invitation. :wink:

Happy to meet you :D
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are