Looking for some structural tips

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

mH
How many stars? **: 0

Looking for some structural tips

Post by mH » Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:42 pm

I am just starting TUrikish Made Nice and Easy and am looking for a bit more of the "grammar that makes things a bit easier".

In reading about stems I see that the stem comes first, reading from the leftt, then come the added syllables that tell plural and what is case in oother languages.etc.

Is there a list of the most commonly used stems somewhere? Or can another language teacher of an inflected language give me say, 4-6 commonly used stems, prefarable in some trave category, such as questions or types of food etc.?

Any other piece of structure that "goes thru the language" and "helps a lot if you keep it in mind"
One of the "Oh now I see" lampbulb moments that keeps beginners going.
thanks
Martin

MW

Post by MW » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:30 am

My tip: talk, or rather structure your sentences, the way Yoda (the little green fellow from Star Wars) would.

It worked for me.

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:32 am

hi Martin...i think most books that try to teach turkish start off with too much complications..and it frightens the life out of learners.
i think you have to get the word order sorted out in your mind first
and start off with some simple suffixes ..
if you try to put vowel harmony..back and front vowels...consonant mutations etc its off putting.
try and get to grips with the most common verbs ..like gitmek..gelmek..anlamak ..and bilmek...
theres an excellent site called manisa turkish thats put together by an englishman...its a great place ..and he's helpful with emails if you get stuck
have fun..its a lovely language :)

mH

placement order and meaning

Post by mH » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:20 pm

Samekena,

Thanks for the verbs. And, since voice/unvoiced or front/back vowels don't bother me I'm on my way.

Could you please take one of those verbs and do a conjugation for it, so I can see how the placement works?

Then, do one a bit more complicated, like I VERB today / with you. or something like that.

Thanks --I don't have time to REALLY learn but I have been nominated by the group to learn enuf to teach the other three "the basic BASICS".

samikenina

Post by samikenina » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:01 am

ok heres gitmek..to go
take off the ...mek..to the stem you then add on your tenses..and your personal pronouns.
gidiyor um..i am going..gidiyor sun..you are...the 3rd person just stays without an addition..gidiyor..gidiyoruz..we are..gidiyorsunuz..2nd person plural..gidiyorlar they are
the present is indicated by iyor
the past by Di..gittim gittin gitti..gittik..gittiniz..gittiler
the future by ecek...gideceğim...the K mutates to Ğ...gideceksin..gidecek...gideceğiz..gideceksiniz..gidecekler.
Bugün İstanbula gidiyorum..today i am going to İstanbul...keşke(i wish)
of course there are many other forms which are added to the verb..for eg.such as the conditional SE..add to the stem add the personal pronoun...gitSEm..if i go..
eureka!!! does it help?

mH

Got gidimek,simple,logical,clear

Post by mH » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:19 am

Ok. When I was scanning the site, I noticed that there is another category of verbs, different by the kind of vowels used in its ?endings?

Could you give me one of those?

ANd how do you say a normal Thank you and and effusive Thank you in Turkish?

Martin

sinan

Post by sinan » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:40 am

Hi Martin,

I Live in NYC. If you are in USA you may call me and explain on the phone.

Sinan