Sinan need your help, to help you learn some Turkish phrases

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

sinan
How many stars? **: 0

Sinan need your help, to help you learn some Turkish phrases

Post by sinan » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:58 am

Hi everybody,

Until now, I have been helping some of you with information about your trips to Turkey. Now I NEED your HELP, I want to HELP you learn some TURKISH PHRASES.

I am going to create a PODCAST in ITUNES that you can download with some Turkish Phrases FREE.

Now, HOW you can help me?

I need you to tell me WHAT YOU WANT TO LEARN first, and what phrases you consider most important.

Thanks

Sinan Akdeniz

flitcraft

Post by flitcraft » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:33 pm

Hi Sinan,

Your project sounds fantastic! I assume you are thinking mainly of travelers to Turkey; I always try to learn the basics for getting around and also some everyday conversational topics when I visit a country. So I would include the basics for getting a room: Do you have any rooms available? For [number] nights? Is breakfast included? Is there a shower and toilet in the room? etc.

Once you are sheltered, there's the matter of eating and drinking: I would like [xxx]. Please bring us a bottle of raki. Is there a local specialty? Is this fish in season? I cannot eat any meat at all. What is this made with?
Lots of food and drink language...

It would also be helpful to have basic numbers and time telling, as well as basic directions (including--can you show me on this map?) Bus and dolmus phrases would be useful: Does this dolmus go to the beach? When does the bus leave for Ankara? (I found that I didn't need air travel language, since airport staff tended to speak enough English to sell me tickets and get me to my gate.)

And, of course, there is the need for shopping--How much does this cost? That's a little expensive--I will give you xxx instead. Do you have it in a different color? What is this made from?

One of the joys of travel is to talk to the people you meet. When I went to Turkey, people wanted to know whether you had been to Turkey before and what you thought of Turkey. So, you might include sentences like, This is my first time in your country. It's a beautiful country. Turkish people are friendly and kind to travelers. Your history is very interesting. Turkish food is delicious. Turkey is very different from my country. We love Turkey! Also, perhaps because of my age, I was often asked about whether I had any children and how old they were.

This reminds me, I need to brush up on my "tourist Turkish" in preparation for another trip there this May...

Good luck with the podcast and thank you for all of your helpful advice on this forum.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:52 pm

This is a bloody excellent idea! Get it done quick and I can start revising in the car as I drive to work! I think that hotel stuff would be very useful, particularly phrases or questions that would not normally be covered by traditional learning material. Similarly coloquial greetings and thanks would also be useful.

azure76

Post by azure76 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:35 am

This is great. I need basic greeting information and restaurant info as I will probably be visiting a restaurant during my time in Istanbul.

sinan

Post by sinan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:24 pm

I have to thank first for your response. I though that I can edit sound, NOW I know it is not easy and also I have some reconstruction in our building so I am getting some additional sound while I am editing so I postpone my podcasting, BUT DEFINITLY i am going to put on the air SOON.

By the way I designed a PRACTICAL TURKISH in my web page.

here is the url your can get some sound. I am going to add more.

http://www.traveltoturkiye.com/public_h ... urkce.html

I hope this helps your turkish. PLEASE keep writting here for your request, I would like to hear.

Sinan Akdeniz

carol quigley

Post by carol quigley » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:38 am

Merhaba,

I'm having Turkish lessons and trying to learn to speak Turkish!
can you recommend any basic grammar books (maybe even aimed at children!) which would make it easier to understand?

Cok tesekkurler !

Carol

Paz

Post by Paz » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:36 am

How about categories such as "getting around", "shopping", and "eating".

For getting around maybe something like:
Can you help me, please, I want to get to the xxxx Hotel?
Can you tell me which bus I need for the xxxx Hotel?

Shopping:
How much does is cost? Can you write that down?
Can I pay in euros/dollars/pounds?
Do you take credit cards?
That's too expensive.

Eating:
Do you have an english menu? (Many do, and if enough people as they'll make one!)
Do you have any vegetarian meals?
Do you have any meals for children?
and...
Can I have the same as those people over there?
:P

Cheers,
Paz.

Johnmango

How about simple greeting words?

Post by Johnmango » Mon May 08, 2006 7:48 pm

- good morning
- good afternoon
- good evening
- good night
- goodbye
- thanks