Some translation help please

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

alijanlondon
How many stars? **: 0

Some translation help please

Post by alijanlondon » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:01 am

Hello

Someone posted this comment about one of my youtube videos. My turkish isn't too bad but I think some slang terms have been used. Something about a 1000 watt telephone exchange.

Any help would be appreciated:

ULAN BU HALAYMI, SANKI ELEKTRIK SANTRALINDEN 1000 Watt ELEKTRIK ALMISSINIZ GIBI YERINIZDE SALLANIYORSUNUZ. YUH BE... BU NE KIRO HALAYI...

carrie
TTP Expert

Post by carrie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:59 pm

Hi alijanlondon,

Sorry I can't really help too much in the translation but it seems to be commenting on the way that the person or persons are dancing the Halay like they have been shocked with a 1000 volts of electrity.

Halay (Kurdish: Dilan) is a famous dance in the Middle East. Two traditional music instruments, literally meaning a drum and wind-pipe (or flute). Played together usually with no songs, in many ceremonies such as; weddings, funerals and welcoming (however for funerals played for unmarried men, accompanied by singing). It is a symbol for the tempestuous way of life in its place of origin, Anatolia. It is a national dance in Armenia and Turkey.

The traditional form of the Halay is played on the zurna, supported by a davul but in the recent years electronic drums and melodies has formed another style of halay which is mainly played indoors i.e. indoor weddings. Halay dancers form a circle or a line, while holding each other with the little finger or shoulder to shoulder or even hand to hand with the last and first player holding a piece of cloth — usually called "mendil" (from Arabic) between Arabs, Kurds,Turkmen and Turks.

The halay has spread from Anatolia to many other regions, such as Armenia and the Balkans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halay

BTW, I loved your videos of both Cappadocia and Cirali. If you are in Cirali again do stop in for a visit and say hi.

suppiluliuma

Re: Some translation help please

Post by suppiluliuma » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:43 pm

alijanlondon wrote:ULAN BU HALAYMI, SANKI ELEKTRIK SANTRALINDEN 1000 Watt ELEKTRIK ALMISSINIZ GIBI YERINIZDE SALLANIYORSUNUZ. YUH BE... BU NE KIRO HALAYI...
"D'you call that "halay" you jackass! You are bobing at a place as if you got hit 1000 Watt from a powerhouse. Boo! What a kurdo halay it is"

"Kıro" originally means "kurdish" or "kurdy", but used as an insulting call which has a general meaning like " banal". It's not used only for kurds, this is important.

By the way, congragulations Carrie, for your great information about halay; it's really a knowledge. :)
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

alijanlondon

Post by alijanlondon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:48 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm constantly having to remove insulting posts by turks who make nasty comments about their neighbours who live in the east of the country. Though this comment was quite mild in comparison to some I've seen.

Now that youtube's back online, here's the video in question which I took 3 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dg5QaeiPc74

suppiluliuma

Post by suppiluliuma » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:49 pm

Dear Alijan, Kurds are not neighbours actually, we are all the residents of the same neighbourhood. This is an artificial and a complicated issue. But I believe nobody has the right of insulting others for belonging to other races, nowhere.
Come whoever you are...
just come as you are

alijanlondon

Post by alijanlondon » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:37 am

When I wrote about turks writing rude comments about their neighbours, I meant their Turkish neighbours who live in places like Kahta etc, and I did say east of the country meaning east of turkey. You can have close and distant neighbours
Extracts of my videos taken in Turkey can be seen here

http://www.youtube.com/user/alijanlondon