Western spelling of Turkish names

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

David Morgan
How many stars? **: 0

Western spelling of Turkish names

Post by David Morgan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:23 am

When I want to cut and paste a Turkish place name from a google search, I find I have to put 'belediye' after the name in order to find the Turkish spelling nowadays.
And reading The Times, I get annoyed when Erdoğan is spelt Erdogan, yet they manage to accent the French president's ex-wife OK - Cécilia.

KayaKoyuOldBoy

Re: Western spelling of Turkish names

Post by KayaKoyuOldBoy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:34 am

"Belediye" is the Turkish equivalent of a "Local Council". They will always have the correct Turkish spelling in the name rather than the "Anglicised" version used by some travel and info sites. Most town or village councils in Turkey have websites and that's probably why it's easier for Google to complete the search for you.

As for using the correct spelling of foreign names in English newspapers, I suppose you'll also want the correct Chinese, Japanese, Russian etc alphabets used in future ? :D Come on, lighten up. :)

David Morgan

Post by David Morgan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:14 pm

Yes, I know what belediye means - it's usually on a huge sign as you enter every town in Turkey, with the 'Hoşgeldiniz'.
I'm talking about just a few accents, not a whole alphabet. But I suppose they couldn't go as far as using the undotted i, like you don't see a German ß in English.

Tosun Saral

Post by Tosun Saral » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:57 pm

If The Times write "Erdoğan" nobody can read it. Because Turkish language and Turkey is not well known in most of the world. Some 50 years ago The British wrote "Pasha", Germans wrote "Pascha" but in realty it is "Paşa"
Atatürk "Ataturk"
Mustafa Kemal "Mustapha Kamal"
İstanbul "Istanbul"
Cevad "Chevat"
Cemal "Chemal"
a.s.o :)

About Gallipoli battles:
Gelibolu: "Gallipoli"
Conk Bayırı "Chunk Bahir"
Çanakkale "Chanak"
Don't die before visiting Turkey