turkish surnames

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

Elif
How many stars? **: 0

Post by Elif » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:01 am

Ah Nesin... this time proving not being able to draw the line between racism and nationalism.

Important mistake to make.
Ne mutlu bana!

Re: Surnames

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:47 am

ADIVAR also means renowned or famous.

turkeytom wrote:It is one of the most interesting aspects of 20th-century Turkish history.

My favorite is the prominent family who didn't think the whole business of taking a surname was necessary (though clearly it was) so they chose the name "Adivar" which means "We [already] have a name".

Tom Brosnahan

Re: Kundak = Gunstock

Post by Guest » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:56 am

KUNDAK also means "arson" or "setup"(crime) or thick (blanket like) "clothes to wrap a baby".

KUNDAKLAMAK means wrap [the baby] or arson/setup

turkeytom wrote:Kundak is a gunstock, the wooden part of a rifle; or a [cannon] gun carriage.

Tom Brosnahan

Badmad

Post by Badmad » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:39 pm

Modern Turkish surnames born in 20th centrury but before that we used nicknames(lakab) like Kara Murad or somethin and memorized by dads name "Son of Mehmed" or the place you live istanbuller ahmed,hasan from ankara etc.

My surname is Erpençe means crawl of soldier

Basat

Post by Basat » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:44 am

Boy" and "beylik" concepts were appeared between Turks approximately two thousands years ago. And mentioned in Orkun Scripts (7th-8th Century).And Kaşgarlı Mahmud expressed each with their special stamp in Divan-ı Lügat-ül Türk (11th century.)
In addition to this, families are named with fomous,strong mans from families(Remember "Beylik" names), rootlands if they're migrant(this was a very common situation),with their occupation (in the past occupations was like dynasties transplanting for generations.)
My grandfather's was given a surname altough his family used to called with a name, then my grandfather grew and switched to the original one. But other my grandfather didn't do that,he was aware of real his surname.
To the contrary of different cultures,there have never been "a public classifacion" between Turks, like Europeans or Indians cultures.I mean being called with a surname doesn't worth anything as long as the person is described correctly,if we think how less crowded the world was.In old Turkish society each male had to prove himself otherwise he couln't get a name,had been called "atsız"(means both nameless and horseless)since provement ,not under coverage of his families' fame.This also a supporting idea for the preceding one.
There could 15 millions of "Cepni" surnamed people today,They were the most crowed "boy" completely settled in Anatolia.(There are already only twelve surnames in China).And many people still aware that their root bases on Cepni's even they don't carry that surname in East BlackSea Region. "Çapanoglu" surname was unofficially forbidden in Yozgat because they had been a rebellious familiy for centuries,sometimes even a big problem for the country,and they were proud of that.Also to end the "agalik" (kind of lordness) sytem.To end big eternal disputes between families.(Avşarlar vs ?[i forgot))To provide unity... Atatürk did that.
Others which are taught in primary scholls are exuces.
Last edited by Basat on Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanfan

the meaning of turkish surnames

Post by fanfan » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:41 pm

Hello everyone,

This topic is very interesting ! Who could tell the meaning of my turkish friend "Görgec" ?

Thanks, it's nice to know more about that !
I wish you all a very happy New Year .

Fanfan
I love to talk with people from all over the world. It's so interesting to meet new cultures ! I am a french speaker, too bad i only speek a bit of english.

Basat

Post by Basat » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:42 am

I couldn't found that name in Turkish Language Foundation's Names Dictionary.

Elif

Post by Elif » Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:39 am

"Çapanoglu" surname was unofficially forbidden in Yozgat because they had been a rebellious familiy for centuries,sometimes even a big problem for the country,and they were proud of that.Also to end the "agalik" (kind of lordness) sytem.To end big eternal disputes between families.(Avşarlar vs ?[i forgot))To provide unity... Atatürk did that.
Others which are taught in primary scholls are exuces.
Başat you mean Avşarlar (For the foreign readers: Avsarlar plural. Avsar sing.) vs. Tecirli Family. :)

I am from the Tecirli family. (My surname is not Tecirli, it is Kundakci.)

There must be like 14 villages around Ceyhan that are completely populated by Tecirli Turks. Although Avsar Turks mostly left the region there are still some few living in our hometown I heard. My father told me about the disputes, about our family history, not in detail though. I think both sides remember those days but it is over now.

While trying to find information about my family, - you know Avsar, Cerid, Tecirli and many other tribes were nomadic and were resisting Ottoman Empire, who wanted to settle them - I found this below source about the Avsar - Tecirli dispute.

Not an informative source maybe but I think it is sad.

http://aton.ttu.edu/narratives/wmVol_14 ... _Dirge.pdf

But I didn't know our family name was unofficially forbidden. I actually think there are people with the surname Tecirli, no? (It doesn't of course mean they are of Tecirli family.)
Ne mutlu bana!

Elif

Post by Elif » Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:37 pm

And is that Cepni family the one that holds conferences to meet eachother? Do they do that every year?
Ne mutlu bana!

Basat

Post by Basat » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:50 pm

I couldn't rememeber the Avşars' rival.
Çepnis are one of the most crowded "boy"(considered as tribe but not the same) who were settled in eastern Black Sea region to provide majorty of Turkish population and they were too much that remainders was sent to Balıkesir. But apart from this migration they were alredy living different parts of Anatolia (Urfa,Yozgat,İzmit.....).
Today many Çepni in eastern Black Sea region aware of their roots inspite having different surnames. I don't know if they arrange meetings.
I searched for "Tecirli" surname in TT's online phone guide in Adana section, and found many.
What I mean with "unoficially forbidden";In Yozgat many few of Çapanoğlus were allowed to keep that surname on. Most were given diiferent surnames,even brothers got different surnames. Because the word "Çapanoğlu" used to be the sign of rebelliousness.Many times they opposed to goverment,their last job was refusing Atatürk's command for joining Kuvvai Milliye(Force of Nation; The Turkish people's independence army during WW I).