turkish surnames

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

Turkish surnames

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:40 am

My surname is Badem and i never really questioned it because i was born in the U.S and my father is from turkey and he pretty much just tried to adopt the u.s lifestyle and let go of alot of ties to our culture but i am still intrested in what my surname means. if anyone can tell me any intresting facts about this name of ours i'd liek to know, thanks

Rauf
How many stars? **: 0

Re: Turkish surnames

Post by Rauf » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:40 pm

Anonymous wrote:My surname is Badem and i never really questioned it because i was born in the U.S and my father is from turkey and he pretty much just tried to adopt the u.s lifestyle and let go of alot of ties to our culture but i am still intrested in what my surname means. if anyone can tell me any intresting facts about this name of ours i'd liek to know, thanks
The meaning of "Badem" is "almond"
It's a surname that is sort of common in Turkey.

Paz

Re: turkish surnames

Post by Paz » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:06 pm

markcwilliamson wrote:in the 1930s turks had to choose a surname for themselves. ........
I know this is an old thread, but this is news to me!

Is that because they didn't have one, or did they had to choose new non-arabic ones..?

If they didn't have one, how did they distinguish all the Fatih's and Mehmets that we have here - in court cases for instance?

Cheers,
Paz.

Rauf

Re: turkish surnames

Post by Rauf » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:44 pm

Paz wrote:
markcwilliamson wrote:in the 1930s turks had to choose a surname for themselves. ........
I know this is an old thread, but this is news to me!

Is that because they didn't have one, or did they had to choose new non-arabic ones..?

If they didn't have one, how did they distinguish all the Fatih's and Mehmets that we have here - in court cases for instance?

Cheers,
Paz.
They did not have a surname so the father had to choose a surname for the family.

turkeytom
Site Admin

How did they know who was who?

Post by turkeytom » Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:57 pm

In Ottoman times, Turkey's population was only a fraction of what it is now. There were fewer people, and they did not move around so much, so it was a lot easier to identify them by context: "Mehmet the Barber in Pangalti," Ahmet the Baker from Kayseri," "One-eyed Ali," etc. Everybody was a person, not a name in a ledger.

With the world's population growing the way it is, we are now well beyond the practical limits of the surname system. Think of how many John Smiths there are in New York City, or Juan Ramirezes in Mexico City. We now need an address, occupation, or government-issued ID number to distinguish among them.

Tom Brosnahan

Segin

Post by Segin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:50 pm

My married Turkish name is Egin (with a silent g). I have been told Egin is a place in Turkey so this is probably where the name came from but do not know any more than that. If any one has some info it would be great to pass on to our children. Regards Sharon

Post by guest » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:48 pm

Hello everybody! I am from Bosnia, but as I know my heritage is Turkish. My surname is Mataradzija, and I am really intresting to know more about the meaning of that word. Also I it would be great if anybody know anything about history of this family.

Best regards

Badmad

Post by Badmad » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:49 pm

One of my friends surname is bir şey (something)

He told me when his grandfathers father(or something like that) went to took a surname official asked what he wants for his surname
he couldnt come up with anything and official said "come on say something"

Then he got it !! their surname is "something" for years now :D

(lot of grammer mistakes i know :P )

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:16 pm

Badmad wrote:(lot of grammer mistakes i know :P )
weren't that many grammatical mistakes, but it was very funny.

Reminds me of an indian student friend Govind Pindoria. When his grandfather arrived in the UK he was asked to write his surname - only he couldn't write - so the customs chap wrote "Patel" for him and he stuck with it.

Years later when Govind wanted to get married he returned to India and was shocked to learn his true name!!

Cheers,
Paz.

sinan

Post by sinan » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:45 am

hi Guest,

You last name sound like MATARACI so your family might have connection to MATARACI family in RIZE.

This is my thought

Sinan Akdeniz