turkish surnames

All about the Turkish language: learning aids, reviews and comments on courses, books, teachers--anything having to do with this wonderful language.

Moderator: sinan

kavas

Re: turkish surnames

Post by kavas » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:34 am

markcwilliamson wrote:in the 1930s turks had to choose a surname for themselves. i am interested to find out from turks what made their ancestors of the time decide what to call themselves. in england surnames appeared in the 13th century so we've all been born with surnames, but to me choosing a surname is very important as it not only names yourself but your descendents. so please to all turks out there ask your great grandparents or grandparents what made them call themselves mr/ bey.....

samikenina
How many stars? **: 0

Post by samikenina » Mon May 02, 2005 4:37 pm

my husbands name is püsküllü a püskül is a tassle so lü on the end means with (a tassle) so you can imagine :lol: the fun we've had with this name.

Jilly Tiryaki

Turkish Surnames

Post by Jilly Tiryaki » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:37 pm

What an interesting topic!

My married name is Tiryaki which means 'addict', although it certainly fits my personality well, it derives from my husbands ancestors taste for coffee. Not Nescafe, but a very strong arabic coffee. It comes in tiny cups, and they say that any more than three cups is dangerous. Apparently Tiryaki is a very common name in the GaziAntep area of Turkey where my husband is from.
His first name is Nadir which means 'rare', so he is a 'rare addict' which suits him very nicely!
The place for all your holiday needs -

http://www.rentstopbodrum.com

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:43 pm

if you still check the website i can say that your surname is Turkish. Mataradzija is changed form of Mataraci. this is a profession: The one who sells/makes matara=flask (water container for soldiers). There was a minister who was convicted for taking bribes with the Mataraci surname in 70's.
guest wrote:Hello everybody! I am from Bosnia, but as I know my heritage is Turkish. My surname is Mataradzija, and I am really intresting to know more about the meaning of that word. Also I it would be great if anybody know anything about history of this family.

Best regards

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 3:45 pm

Segin wrote:My married Turkish name is Egin (with a silent g). I have been told Egin is a place in Turkey so this is probably where the name came from but do not know any more than that. If any one has some info it would be great to pass on to our children. Regards Sharon
egin is a region in erzincan/eastern anatolia

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:37 am

hey all i ah just found out that my last name is turkish if anyone can tell me any thing i would appreciate it

Post by Guest » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:39 am

the name is Susalis so if anyone has translation of it i would truly appreciate it.

alexandra26

Re: Kundak = Gunstock

Post by alexandra26 » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:07 am

turkeytom wrote:Kundak is a gunstock, the wooden part of a rifle; or a [cannon] gun carriage.

Tom Brosnahan

os10kat

Post by os10kat » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:08 pm

hi, this is very interesting
my boyfirend surename is: çakirer
can anyone give explanation about this name.
thanks

Raneim

Post by Raneim » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:40 pm

os10kat wrote:hi, this is very interesting
my boyfirend surename is: çakirer
can anyone give explanation about this name.
thanks
Çakır means a color for eyes; grayish blue.
Er means; soldier.
So it means "a soldier whose eyes are grayish blue".

My grand-grandfather was wounded in the Çanakkale (Dardanelles War) in 1915 at Conk Hill.
So after surname law, he wanted to take the surname; Conk.
But this surname had already been taken.
So he wanted Conker, (er means soldier). It had already been gone also.
So he took Unsal which means "set fame free, give fame" something like that and I don't know why he took this. Maybe he was fed up by being refused for lot's taken surnames.
This is the story of our surname. :)
Peace at home, Peace in the World.
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk